Default Test to determine if something is an isolation transformer?

Hello all...

I have some old line conditioners (of the Sola brand) with large
transformers, a capacitor and maybe some other stuff inside. These are
big and heavy things.

I asked a long time ago in this group if these happened to be isolation
transformers as well...but nobody knew for certain and I didn't want to
take a chance on my safety.

So what I'm looking for is some kind of a test that can be used to
determine if something is an isolation transformer. Is there any test
that can be used to determine this? What equipment would be needed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

William

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all...

I have some old line conditioners (of the Sola brand) with large
transformers, a capacitor and maybe some other stuff inside. These are
big and heavy things.

I asked a long time ago in this group if these happened to be isolation
transformers as well...but nobody knew for certain and I didn't want to
take a chance on my safety.

So what I'm looking for is some kind of a test that can be used to
determine if something is an isolation transformer. Is there any test
that can be used to determine this? What equipment would be needed?

Is it a big capacitor? Can you see windings on two limbs of the core? Look
at http://www.vf-transformer.com/cv.html (Constant Voltage Transformers).

Do Litlle Jr.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all...

I have some old line conditioners (of the Sola brand) with large
transformers, a capacitor and maybe some other stuff inside. These are
big and heavy things.

I asked a long time ago in this group if these happened to be isolation
transformers as well...but nobody knew for certain and I didn't want to
take a chance on my safety.

So what I'm looking for is some kind of a test that can be used to
determine if something is an isolation transformer. Is there any test
that can be used to determine this? What equipment would be needed?

No transformer model or number?

If it's one of those old brownish looking Sola's than
look under the top cover-plate for the circuit diagram.

Regardless, any isolation transformer should have a very, very large
resistance reading between the primary and secondary windings .
With most common DMM it would read infinity.

mike

Hello all...

I have some old line conditioners (of the Sola brand) with large
transformers, a capacitor and maybe some other stuff inside. These are
big and heavy things.

I asked a long time ago in this group if these happened to be isolation
transformers as well...but nobody knew for certain and I didn't want to
take a chance on my safety.

So what I'm looking for is some kind of a test that can be used to
determine if something is an isolation transformer. Is there any test
that can be used to determine this? What equipment would be needed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

William

Measure resistance between all combinations of input and output pins.
If they're all infinite, you have DC isolation. Not to be confused with
AC isolation which can be the result of caps, filters, etc. The
switching frequencies in a switching supply can sneak past DC isolation
and cause unsafe conditions.
Be aware that a transformer may not like high voltages between primary
and secondary. Maybe it's even defective.

Depends on what you intend to do with it. A device not intended for a
particular purpose is "not intended for that purpose".

I've seen people do ABSOLUTELY STUPID things just because they thought
their isolation transformer made everything safe. As a general rule,
you only need an isolation transformer when you intend to defeat some
safety protocol. Keep one hand in your pocket in all cases.
mike

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Resetting controller on Ariston dishwasher bob Home Ownership 2 December 5th 06 09:56 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 17th 04 04:31 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 12th 04 08:01 AM
test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 05:52 PM
Possible Condensation Solution? - Test Data Tom Watson Woodworking 4 November 7th 03 08:51 PM