Russ

Default best repair tools

Thanks to all for the advise. Sounds like I am on the right track. More
knowledge I guess is top on the list.
To clarify a few things.

On the Rowe: where I can't apply power. I can but it is very difficult
because of the harness. It is real hard to get to. And there are times
where if the problem isn't repaired it will fry parts on the Main CPU. I
would like to work on this with out power. I probably have 10 of them and 3
or 4 are fully working. This is where I think the Huntron might be helpful.
But I am not sure. But if my self built curve tracer is just as good i will
try again with that.

My industry has tons of manufacturers with most of them out of business.
Only on pinball's and some monitors to I see more then one of anything. I
will spend an hour or two on something's then if I can't get it going I will
send it off. Keeping them running is what makes money but since I do most
all of everything I only have so much time to put into repairing stuff.
That is where I am always looking for things to help speed up the repairs.

Here is another example: I have a gun game pcb where the video screen goes
blank and then the game resets. I don't have schematics. The company is
history. So I heard that if you can check the temperature of the individual
chips and if you find one that is real hot that might be a problem. Can I
use one of those
non-contact temp probes? What type would work best for this? Also, There
are a few surface mount things which I am getting better at. But how in the
world do you separate bent legs. Is there a good stereo microscope for a
cheap price. So that i can see what I am working on. Someone mentioned a
component analyzer. What exactly does this do? The LeekSeeker uses a real
low ohm meter to help track down shorts. I am not sure if this would be
useful or not.

The trouble with the equipment is there is so much stuff and even on a
Galaga board you really have to understand what everything is suppose to be
doing so that you can track down problems. This takes time. Some people
specialize in a few types of boards and can repair them in a timely manner.
But I have over a hundred boards, (most of them work) and it is very hard to
learn the whole system. (no excuse) That is why I am looking for anything
that can help speed up the repairs. The Flyback ringer works well, the ESR
meter works OK. etc. So I am wondering if there is anything else I could
use that would help.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Russ
"Russ" wrote in message
I work on many different types of coin operated equipment. Half the time
not very successfully. I have a lot of stuff but am wondering if there are
some other things that can help save time and speed up repairs. I have.
Cap Wizard, and the Dick Smith ESR meter, LOPT tester,( Works well)
O-Scope, Desoldering station which is great I can finally remover IC's
without destroying everything. A self made Curve tracer-which I am not
sure how to use that well, Meter, PS, and odds and ends. Is there
anyother things that can help. What about that Leekseeker. or the
Huntron stuff. Is it that much better then my self-made curve tracer.
Anything else that people find real useful? I work on Arcade game boards
and Monitor chassis and Power supplies, Pinball machines etc. Right now I
am working on a bunch of Rowe BC 25 change machine control boards. I
can't apply power to them. They use 20 year old technology but I am at a
loss on how to go about working on them.
Thanks for the feedback.