Richard Wagoner

Default Zenith Advaced System 3

Hi, everyone.

I own a Zenith SG5745H 27" console, which uses module numbers 9-754 and
9-959. I bought it in March, 1991. Last year I replaced the 9-959 module
due to a bad (no) sound problem, and the set is better than new ... the
new module is a revised module, so the TV doesn't mute with bright
screen flashes as it did when new!

Anyway, the TV spent the last 12 years or so with the back of the
picture tube pointing East. I moved in September, and set is in a
location that has the back of the tube pointing North. The picture is
now tilted (rotated) so that the right side of the picture is a bit
lower than the left.

At first I thought the set was damaged in the move, but I read some
things and found that orientation of the set compared with the earth's
magnetic poles does indeed effect the picture. Sure enough, when I turn
the TV so that the back of the tube is pointed East, the picture is
perfectly level again.

My question, then, is: is there a way to change the rotation easily
(such as through the service menu)? I can get to the service menu, but I
don't want to experiment, and most settings don't seem be connected with
rotation.

The available setting on the service menu a

HPOS (for moving the on screen menus horizontally)
SP (no idea)
V 1-28 (no idea)
ENVIRONMENT (no idea)
STORE CUST (storing changes as defaults)

pressing menu again brings up:

BRIGHT (bright range as I recall)
CHANNEL (no idea)
50 CYCLE (I assume if the set is operated off of a 50-cycle circuit)
VOLUME (Max volume)
VFORCED (no idea)

Are ANY of these related to rotation; if not can anyone explain what
they are just for my own information?

If the menus or settings on the circuit boards will not re-orient the
picture counter clockwise, will this fix if I let the set sit in the
same position for the next 12 years???

Also, are ther any settings that can be made so that the TV can be used
with those cheap video games? When you use the little Pac Man game from
Radio Shack, the vertical hold doesn't seem to hold so the picture does
this strange jump. (it did this with the on screen menus of an old RCA
VCR as well).

Thanks for any help. This newsgroup was very helpful in the last year as
well.

Sincerely,

Richard Wagoner
Travis Jordan

Richard Wagoner wrote:
My question, then, is: is there a way to change the rotation easily
(such as through the service menu)? I can get to the service menu,
but I don't want to experiment, and most settings don't seem be
connected with rotation.

The alignment problem you are seeing is called 'tilt', and if you don't
have an adjustment on the service menu (maybe under Environment?) then
you can adjust it by using the tilt magnets on the yoke, or by rotating
the entire yoke assembly.

Jerry G.

The entire yoke assembly would have to be rotated in this set. The problem
is that the convergence and purity set-ups may be effected. This type of
setup can be difficult for the non experienced. The convergence and purity
alignment is performed using the ring magnets behind the yoke on the neck of
the tube. A grating pattern generator is used as a reference for the
convergence setup.

You may be best off to call a service man to do this type of setup for you.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Richard Wagoner" wrote in message
[...]

Richard Wagoner

Is that something a non-service person can do without causing further
problems? Would it be an expensive procedure to hire someone to do it?
One peoblem: I would have to have it done in the home.

Travis Jordan wrote:
Richard Wagoner wrote:

My question, then, is: is there a way to change the rotation easily
(such as through the service menu)? I can get to the service menu,
but I don't want to experiment, and most settings don't seem be
connected with rotation.

The alignment problem you are seeing is called 'tilt', and if you don't
have an adjustment on the service menu (maybe under Environment?) then
you can adjust it by using the tilt magnets on the yoke, or by rotating
the entire yoke assembly.

Zenith System 3 Question Ken G. Electronics Repair 2 December 13th 04 03:39 AM
DRO System Mill/Drill Kenneth A. Emmert Metalworking 11 December 3rd 04 05:28 AM
New system nightmare Victoria UK diy 18 December 23rd 03 12:30 PM
mains Hot water, and do I convert open heating to a closed heating system Ian Tracey UK diy 5 July 18th 03 09:55 AM