Mark Witczak

Default Projection TV screen repair

I've got a 52 inch Toshiba rear projection TV. I also have a 3 year old
son. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. So where can I get a replacement screen for my
TV. Are they all the same? Just the outside screen (the fresnel portion)
is cracked.

Thanks,
Mark
Travis Jordan

Mark Witczak wrote:
I've got a 52 inch Toshiba rear projection TV. I also have a 3 year
old son.

If the TV is older than the son, you might consider just replacing it.

Leonard Caillouet

The outer lens is the lenticular, the inner is the fresnel. Call your local
shops or Toshiba distributors with the model number. Expect to pay at least
a couple hundred $ for it. If you measure the exact dimensions of the
screen from behind you might get lucky and a local shop will have one the
right size or one that they can cut to fit for cheap.

Leonard

"Mark Witczak" wrote in message
I've got a 52 inch Toshiba rear projection TV. I also have a 3 year old
son. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. So where can I get a replacement screen for my
TV. Are they all the same? Just the outside screen (the fresnel portion)
is cracked.

Thanks,
Mark

Travis Jordan

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
The outer lens is the lenticular, the inner is the fresnel. Call
your local shops or Toshiba distributors with the model number.
Expect to pay at least a couple hundred $ for it. If you measure the
exact dimensions of the screen from behind you might get lucky and a
local shop will have one the right size or one that they can cut to
fit for cheap.

FWIW, replacing the lenticular is not as easy as you might think. The
lenticular screen is attached to the fresnel screen in a specific way so
that the fresnel screen is allowed to hang freely, which prevents it
from bowing. It's very easy to get small bits of debris in between these
two screens when assembling them, which can make visible shadows on the
screen.

Travis Jordan

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
The outer lens is the lenticular, the inner is the fresnel. Call
your local shops or Toshiba distributors with the model number.

http://www.chucks-tv.com/replacement.html

Leonard Caillouet

What is so difficult about it and what is this "special way" of which you
speak? The biggest problem is static electricity attracting lint, packing
foam, and dust. Many of the screens are taped together at the edges and
this can be a PITA. Never saw a service bulletin from a manufacturer, nor
special instructions about how to hang a screen. Sounds like a scare tactic
to ward off the DIYers.

Leonard