Default Magnavox RPTV

I purchased a 54" Maganvox rear projection TV (model #6P5435 W101) in
June of '97. It was a floor model and I've never had a lick of trouble
with it. However, lately the picture appears to be getting dimmer, with
people in dark scenes appearing as silouettes.

I removed the screen and cleaned the dust off of the R, G and B lamps
(crt's?) and that did not help much.

Is it possible to replace these lamps? Is that what the problem most
likely is? Is this cost effective to do myself or to have someone do
for me (I'm a computer tech, so I'm comfortable with electronics, but
not much experience working on monitors/tvs). Am I better off replacing
it? I know I can get a 55" wide screen Philips at WalMart for around
$1500.

I'd like to get another 4:3 TV but it seems no one sells them anymore.
Without any HD or having to purchase an HD tuner, it seems premature to
purchase such a beast unless someone likes to watch letterbox movies
all the time. Also, the inability to record HDTV broadcasts (at least
affordably) has me completely turned off to HDTV for now.

Advice?

Also, are there better 55" (or larger) TVs available with a better
picture than Philips/Magnavox that sell for less than $1800? (I've
owned Magnavox and Sanyo TVs my whole life and never once had a problem
with any of them, but I also realize they don't provide the best
picture in the world...but then, I've always been happy with the
picture quality with them...)

Thanks!
Carey

Two possibilities: Bacteria has grown in the crt coolant or the
picture tubes are at the end of the life and getting darker.

As for you replaceing them, not likely. Replacing Philips picture
tubes requires new coolant and seals and full disassembly. Add the
cost of the tubes, around $220 each times three, and it is not worth
having it done usually.

I'm betting on you needing to call someone out to pull the tubes, drain
the coolant, disassemble and clean the bacterial gunk off the glass and
refill. Shouldn't run more than $300 and you should get a few more
short years of use out of the set.

Lastly there is a slim chance of an actual parts failure causing dark
images, in which case the set still will need looked at by a qualified
technician.

Carey

Thanks for the response. I called one repair shop who thought the fluid
needed replacing and that it was common in a Magnavox. They wanted $470-$480
to come on-site and do the repair.

I'll call around tomorrow and get some other quotes.

Thanks again!
Carey

wrote in message
oups.com...
Two possibilities: Bacteria has grown in the crt coolant or the
picture tubes are at the end of the life and getting darker.

As for you replaceing them, not likely. Replacing Philips picture
tubes requires new coolant and seals and full disassembly. Add the
cost of the tubes, around $220 each times three, and it is not worth
having it done usually.

I'm betting on you needing to call someone out to pull the tubes, drain
the coolant, disassemble and clean the bacterial gunk off the glass and
refill. Shouldn't run more than $300 and you should get a few more
short years of use out of the set.

Lastly there is a slim chance of an actual parts failure causing dark
images, in which case the set still will need looked at by a qualified
technician.

Shoreline Electronics

Look down inside each tube when the set is on ( be careful!) You should
see a crystal clear red , green and blue image from each tube. If it looks
like a cloudy mess, the chambers will need to be drained and washed out and
refilled. Typically the green and blue CRTs suffer from this problem...the
red is ok most of the time.

Picture will look like new after this is done! Worth the investment! Make
sure they pull the power supply/sweep module and resolder all the
transformers and heatsinked parts!

--
==========================
Jeff Stielau

========================

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Carey

Good to know! How much do you estimate this should cost me?

Thanks,
Carey

"Shoreline Electronics" wrote in message
. com...
Look down inside each tube when the set is on ( be careful!) You should
see a crystal clear red , green and blue image from each tube. If it
looks like a cloudy mess, the chambers will need to be drained and washed
out and refilled. Typically the green and blue CRTs suffer from this
problem...the red is ok most of the time.

Picture will look like new after this is done! Worth the investment!
Make sure they pull the power supply/sweep module and resolder all the
transformers and heatsinked parts!

--
==========================
Jeff Stielau
Shoreline Electronics Repair
344 East Main Street
Clinton,CT 06413
860-399-1861
860-664-3535 (fax)

========================

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Leonard Caillouet

Just the turkey baster crew. The guys that suck out the old coolant without
disassembling and properly cleaning them don't know about the crap coating
the inside of the lens and how much difference it can make to clean it
right.

We charge $390 in Gainesville, Fl.

Leonard

"Shoreline Electronics" wrote in message
m...
We charge $379.00........I don't think you'll find anyone doing this for
less than $300.

--

"Carey" wrote in message
[...]

ups.com...