Carey

Thanks for the response. I called one repair shop who thought the fluid
needed replacing and that it was common in a Magnavox. They wanted $470-$480
to come on-site and do the repair.

I'll call around tomorrow and get some other quotes.

Thanks again!
Carey

wrote in message
oups.com...
Two possibilities: Bacteria has grown in the crt coolant or the
picture tubes are at the end of the life and getting darker.

As for you replaceing them, not likely. Replacing Philips picture
tubes requires new coolant and seals and full disassembly. Add the
cost of the tubes, around $220 each times three, and it is not worth
having it done usually.

I'm betting on you needing to call someone out to pull the tubes, drain
the coolant, disassemble and clean the bacterial gunk off the glass and
refill. Shouldn't run more than $300 and you should get a few more
short years of use out of the set.

Lastly there is a slim chance of an actual parts failure causing dark
images, in which case the set still will need looked at by a qualified
technician.