Ken

Default Sony remote replacement

Universal remotes are generally able to work any brand
VCR without problems for PLAY, STOP, PAUSE, FORWARD,
and REVERSE functions, however other than getting an
expensive 'Learning Universal Remote' I'm unable to find
a low-priced one that has a MENU button - to adjust the
time and timer functions.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive universal/replacement
remote that is able to access SONY VCRs made in the 90's,
and specifically their MENU?
Thanks, Ken

Jack Ak

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:18:46 -0500, "Ken" wrote:

Universal remotes are generally able to work any brand
VCR without problems for PLAY, STOP, PAUSE, FORWARD,
and REVERSE functions, however other than getting an
expensive 'Learning Universal Remote' I'm unable to find
a low-priced one that has a MENU button - to adjust the
time and timer functions.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive universal/replacement
remote that is able to access SONY VCRs made in the 90's,
and specifically their MENU?
Thanks, Ken

Some universal remotes have buttons with labels that misidentify
the functions. There is a possibility the Menu function is available
if the remote has a configuration code for the Sony VCR.

You have to try out the remote and experiment with the buttons.

Kim Sleep

Radio Shack has a "Learning Remote" that actually allows you to program
specialized functions, but you need a working original remote to learn from.
You place the 2 units head to head, activate the learning function, press
the button that you wish to copy the functions from, then press the button
on the remote that you wish to copy the function to.
This is why whenever I purchase something with a remote, I immediately
purchase a cheap universal remote, and use it exclusively. I only pull out
the original remote when Im doing advanced functions...which isn't very
often. Often a $6.00 universal remote, lasts as long as the unit it
controls, but if the dog eats it, or the kids damage it....who cares.

--
Kim..."A Man Of True Frankenstinean Proportions"
"Jack Ak" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:18:46 -0500, "Ken" wrote:

Universal remotes are generally able to work any brand
VCR without problems for PLAY, STOP, PAUSE, FORWARD,
and REVERSE functions, however other than getting an
expensive 'Learning Universal Remote' I'm unable to find
a low-priced one that has a MENU button - to adjust the
time and timer functions.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive universal/replacement
remote that is able to access SONY VCRs made in the 90's,
and specifically their MENU?
Thanks, Ken

Some universal remotes have buttons with labels that misidentify
the functions. There is a possibility the Menu function is available
if the remote has a configuration code for the Sony VCR.

You have to try out the remote and experiment with the buttons.

Ken,
Which VCR are you trying to access. Is it not available from your local
Sony dist.?

Richard

Ken

Ken,
Which VCR are you trying to access. Is it not available from your local
Sony dist.?

Richard

I was asking for myself and a friend to access SLV-5xx to
SLV-7xx series VCR models. I was quoted around $75 CND
a while back when inquiring at a Sony service center, which
is more than the VCRs are worth now. Ken

Ken,
Have you tried Joseph Electronics in Niles out side Chicago.
I've got a VTR/TV RMT-V112A that came with my SLV-696HF VCR. It's the
one with the rotating dial. I've repaired it many times the fault is
always where the dial module connects to the main board so there are
many wire bridges on the board. The kids and I are are always dropping
it. I replaced it with an identical unit I found in a garage sale for
$2, so it's in my retired box. It's missing the plastic switch heads
that connect to the TV-VCR, and the Command Mode 1,2,3. the switches
are still intact but the plastic extender thingies are missing. Also
the battery cover is missing and like I said the play and rewind are
squirrley , so's the channel down but the menu, cursor and execute
buttons work fine.
I tried it on my VCR and it still accesses the menu: timer set/check,
set up menu, tuner preset, set vcr plus channels, and clock set.
Anyway you could check it out on Sony's site for compatability with
your VCR. I'd send it to you for a small fee and shipping costs.
Contact me off board.
Richard

Ken

My sister's Sony VCR (early 90's vintage) expired a couple of years ago,
and I just found out that she still had the remote. Although it was for
a different model, it works great on my VCR, including with the menu.
I appreciate your offer but lucked out with having another working
remote right in the family. Ken