Kim Sleep

Radio Shack has a "Learning Remote" that actually allows you to program
specialized functions, but you need a working original remote to learn from.
You place the 2 units head to head, activate the learning function, press
the button that you wish to copy the functions from, then press the button
on the remote that you wish to copy the function to.
This is why whenever I purchase something with a remote, I immediately
purchase a cheap universal remote, and use it exclusively. I only pull out
the original remote when Im doing advanced functions...which isn't very
often. Often a $6.00 universal remote, lasts as long as the unit it
controls, but if the dog eats it, or the kids damage it....who cares.

--
Kim..."A Man Of True Frankenstinean Proportions"
"Jack Ak" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:18:46 -0500, "Ken" wrote:

Universal remotes are generally able to work any brand
VCR without problems for PLAY, STOP, PAUSE, FORWARD,
and REVERSE functions, however other than getting an
expensive 'Learning Universal Remote' I'm unable to find
a low-priced one that has a MENU button - to adjust the
time and timer functions.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive universal/replacement
remote that is able to access SONY VCRs made in the 90's,
and specifically their MENU?
Thanks, Ken

Some universal remotes have buttons with labels that misidentify
the functions. There is a possibility the Menu function is available
if the remote has a configuration code for the Sony VCR.

You have to try out the remote and experiment with the buttons.