MarkyT

Default Electrolux Model E Canister Vacuum

If this looks familiar, I tried this over at alt.home.repair first.

Here's a relic. These were originally manufactured in the m=ADid 50's.
Lot of them still around and still going strong. Mine, which is third-
or fourth-hand, probably, and not used much, started getting=AD a bit
noisy. Figured I'd check the bearings and refresh the greas=ADe. The
top bearing was right on top, easy to get to. Bottom bearing wa=ADs bit
more of a challenge, but I figured out the motor had to be rocked=AD out
of the canister.

There's a housing around the big fan at the bottom, four bol=ADts and
nuts around the sides. Undid the bolts, the bottom half gave about
1/3" but gave no more. Tried to unscrew it, it just spins with the
s=ADhaft. Holding on to the shaft from the top, it just spins without
=ADthe shaft. Back at the top of the motor, unscrewed another bunch of
bol=ADts in ridiculously inacessible locations that only released a big
=ADrubber gasket.

The last possibility I see is a nut at the bottom of the sha=ADft. It
looks like there's an opening in it possibly for an allen wrench, but
neither hex or torx bit grabs.

How do I get the U*(UN U)&(*) bottom off to get at the botto=ADm
bearing???=20

Thanks in advance.=20

Mark

WEBPA

Sounds like you may need a complete set of odd-size "English" hex (Allen) and
spline wrenches. Spline wrenches sort of evaporated back in the 1960's or
so...used to be popular for industrial and aviation applications.

[...]

MarkyT

Thanks for the suggestion. The opening doesn't appear to be so
intricate as to require a spline wrench. Dad had a number of Allen
wrench sets, in pouches and on rings. Hopefully, he still has them and
one of them will do the trick. Either way, I'll be back!

Mark