Dave R knows who

Default RCA still bad?

The RCA 20" flat screen Combo with DVD is selling for an attractive $198
from Wal-mart and it would make a great birthday present. I was searching
google for comments and while I did not find comments on this particular
model it seems most posts here were pretty hard on RCA, however they were
mostly several years old. So are they still bad? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

sofie

Dave R:
The VCR section is the "weakest link" on these combos. You would be
better advised to purchase a Television (only) and then you could hook up a
VCR and DVD as separate components, that if they fail, you can just repair
or replace only the thing that fails.
Also with the VCR/TV combo unit you can NOT record one channel while
watching another.. only one tuner.
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair

"Dave R knows who" wrote in message
The RCA 20" flat screen Combo with DVD is selling for an attractive $198
from Wal-mart and it would make a great birthday present. I was

searching
google for comments and while I did not find comments on this particular
model it seems most posts here were pretty hard on RCA, however they were
mostly several years old. So are they still bad? Any other

recommendations?

Thanks!

Dave R knows who

wrote in message
oups.com...
Buying an RCA combo is *not* an RCA. RCA doesn't build combos, they
just put their name on someone elses product. Chances are it's either
an Orion or a Funai.

I should not be surprised. There is a Toshiba model which is very similar.

Thanks

James Sweet

"Dave R knows who" wrote in message
The RCA 20" flat screen Combo with DVD is selling for an attractive $198
from Wal-mart and it would make a great birthday present. I was

searching
google for comments and while I did not find comments on this particular
model it seems most posts here were pretty hard on RCA, however they were
mostly several years old. So are they still bad? Any other

recommendations?

Thanks!

You get what you pay for.. RCA TV's are decent as far as low end stuff goes,
even the older ones are easy to repair and mostly fairly reliable once done
properly.

Those combo units are all garbage though, the VCR usually breaks within a
year and then you have a useless appendage on an otherwise mediocre TV. Get
a separate unit and you'll be happier in the long run.

James Sweet

"Dave R knows who" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Buying an RCA combo is *not* an RCA. RCA doesn't build combos, they
just put their name on someone elses product. Chances are it's either
an Orion or a Funai.

I should not be surprised. There is a Toshiba model which is very similar.

Thanks

The same is true for DVD/VCR combos too, there's 2 or 3 companies who
manufacture them, the more famous brands just order them with their name
slapped on them.