Fastvale

Default Sony semiconductor

Be pityful!
Help me to restore my jurassic sony tv ( kv1820).
The hor. output SG613 is gone.
No replacement is available at a human price!
As far as I know a correct replacement for this scr (gto type) is a BTW 58
1500r. Obsolete as well.

Anyone has got and solved this problem?
Suggestions for a replacement?
Thanks to all.

According to NTE Cross that is a NTE276
SCR Gate control

Andy Cuffe

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:17:13 +0100, "Fastvale"
wrote:

Be pityful!
Help me to restore my jurassic sony tv ( kv1820).
The hor. output SG613 is gone.
No replacement is available at a human price!
As far as I know a correct replacement for this scr (gto type) is a BTW 58
1500r. Obsolete as well.

Anyone has got and solved this problem?
Suggestions for a replacement?
Thanks to all.

That's a Gate Controlled Switch, or GCS. I replaced one with a
regular bipolar transistor in a 12" set a long time ago. It ran fine
and didn't get too hot. I forget how I connected it, but it wasn't
too hard to figure out. I'm sure I connected it like a HOT in a
regular TV (E to ground, B to the drive transformer and C to the
flyback). This set didn't need any other modifications to accept the
transistor, but yours may be different.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this email address first

JURB6006

There are two regular bipolar HOT transistors with high enough gain to work in
there. One is a TO-3 (US) transistor from an old zenith. these things used to
run into a shorted HV circuit until they blew the circuit breaker. Another
option is a genuine 121-1167 from Zenith, if you can get one.

I wouldn't trust it. One of the leaders today for such an app would be the
2SC5150. Between it's speed and gain it should run cool, and it's got some
killer voltage and current ratings. They're about $7 apiece though, so if you
can get a 2SC5148 (it's lil brother) to run cool, go for it.

Nice thing about these is they are single hole mount and all plastic. It will
be easy to find room in there.

As far as I know, no equivalent device exists today, I guess the "technology
doesn't exist anymore". Where have we heard that before ? (OK you can get them,
but at ridiculous cost)

Of course the gate connection goes to the base, and the other two are obvious.
The only thing is you got to run wires to it.

JURB
Fastvale

cut

"JURB6006" ha scritto nel messaggio
There are two regular bipolar HOT transistors with high enough gain to

work in
there. One is a TO-3 (US) transistor from an old zenith. these things used

run into a shorted HV circuit until they blew the circuit breaker. Another
option is a genuine 121-1167 from Zenith, if you can get one.

I wouldn't trust it. One of the leaders today for such an app would be the
2SC5150. Between it's speed and gain it should run cool, and it's got some
killer voltage and current ratings. They're about $7 apiece though, so if

you
can get a 2SC5148 (it's lil brother) to run cool, go for it.

JURB

cut

Thanks a lot, Jurb!
I'll try to get around the problem as you suggested.
Unfortunately here in Europe NTE devices are impossible to find, and
shipping from US would be too expensive.
I'll go for the other solution.
God bless you!

Electric dabbler

Hi,

I hate to disappoint but its not actually that simple to replace the gate
controlled switch with a bipolar transistor. Yes it can be done but the
drive circuitry needs to be altered to make it work.

Sony sold two models of 18" set in the Uk that used this device, the
KV1810UB used one for the PSU and one for H-out the KV1820UB used just a
single one one for the H-out, this latter set was easy to modify requiring
just some changes to the circuit around the gate connection - a simple
bipolar transistor such as a BU208A could be used - if you have access to
old copies of 'Television' magizine there were articles published for both
models. For US models the arrangement was probably similar.

Philip
"JURB6006" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
grzejab

You can connect 2 pararell HOT transistors BU208 or one BU 2520 (I
prefer Philips producer), and change two resisstors R809, R810
(paralel) on one 3,3 ohm/8W.
My TV after this change (service) work correct 6 year.
Temperature this HOT after 15min. must by max 40 st. C