Default "Antenna grounding

I am installing two ham antennas on my chimney. What is the best way to
ground them? DO they need grounding?

Henry Kolesnik

What kind of antennas?

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
wrote in message
oups.com...
I am installing two ham antennas on my chimney. What is the best way to
ground them? DO they need grounding?

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
What kind of antennas?

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
wrote in message
oups.com...
I am installing two ham antennas on my chimney. What is the best way

ground them? DO they need grounding?

I have yet to build them but I was thinking a j pole or ground plane on
top of a short section of mast and a 440 yagi toward the bottom of the
mast. The mast would be attached to my chimney.

Jerry G.

Many years ago, I was working on TV antenna installations, and use to sell
the parts for them. We did a fair number of communications antenna
installations, and a few armature radio antennas as well.

For safety sakes you definitely need a good ground. You should ground the
mast of the antenna. The ground will reduce the effect that a near by
lightning strike can have on damaging your home. Every year there are fires
from antennas being struck by lightning.

You must use a proper electrical ground for the antenna. You can use the
same ground as the electrical entry to your home is using.

For the wire gauge, a gauge AWG 12 is very standard for this type of thing.
Many of the antenna installers are using a metal ground strapping that is
standard for TV antenna installations. If you want the best, copper wire
would be a good choice. Just make sure that the wire is properly
screw-clamped on to the antenna mast. On the large antenna installations we
used to use 2 ground runs from the mast. It was doubled up.

You should also look in to safety ground decoulper for your line feed going
to the receiver. If there is a strike to the antenna that may damage the
front end via the signal cable, this type of protection adds to the chance
of saving the receiver from having damage.

The antenna, ground wire, and lead-ins, should be inspected at least once a
year, in case any repairs are required. It is most important that the
safety ground is intact.

The Armature Radio Handbook, and the ARRL Antenna Handbook, should have a
lot of very good information about antenna installations.

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am installing two ham antennas on my chimney. What is the best way to
ground them? DO they need grounding?

Charles Schuler

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am installing two ham antennas on my chimney. What is the best way to
ground them? DO they need grounding?

Yes, as they could be hit with lightning.

jakdedert

Charles Schuler wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I am installing two ham antennas on my chimney. What is the best way
to ground them? DO they need grounding?

Yes, as they could be hit with lightning.

....another question from a ham who should--IMHO--already know the answer.
What's up with that? In any case, despite the inexact wording of the OP,
yes the MAST--not the antenna itself--should indeed be grounded. I make the
distinction because this is the kind of question which would be covered in
any elementary radio text (which I presumed one should have already studied
in order to 'become' a ham).

jak

Antenna Grounding John Home Repair 36 March 12th 04 01:36 PM
Modified CB antenna for Scanner [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 August 27th 03 08:57 PM
Microwave interferes with AM radio TOM KAN PA Home Repair 8 August 4th 03 12:31 AM
Grounding Rod *and* Rebar for service grounds? Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 04:13 PM