meirman

Default S-video jack

Is S-video the same as regular video and left and right audio (such as
feeds a tv monitor, via RCA plugs), but just combined so it all fits
in one connector? Or is it electrically different from that?

There are several reasons I would benefit from understanding this.
One is that I only ran coax from room to room, and should have run
video and audio cables too. If S-video is the same as one video and 2
audios, it would be a lot easier to run at this stage.

Thanks.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Marko

No. S-Video uses two shielded conductors for video. One contains the
luma signal (black & white information + sync). The other contains
chroma information (color). There is no audio in S-Video. The audio
must be handled separately.

S-Video is better quality than composite video (single coax) because
there is no interference between the luma and chroma information (the
video looks clearer). However, S-Video requires the two cables. Even
better is Component Video, which takes three cables. With all video,
coax should always be 75 ohm. In all cases, audio must be carried
separately.

Better yet is digital video such as DVI and HDMI.

Marko

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 02:34:43 -0500, meirman
wrote:

Is S-video the same as regular video and left and right audio (such as
feeds a tv monitor, via RCA plugs), but just combined so it all fits
in one connector? Or is it electrically different from that?

There are several reasons I would benefit from understanding this.
One is that I only ran coax from room to room, and should have run
video and audio cables too. If S-video is the same as one video and 2
audios, it would be a lot easier to run at this stage.

Thanks.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:46:56 -0800 Marko
cantsay@here posted:

No. S-Video uses two shielded conductors for video. One contains the
luma signal (black & white information + sync). The other contains
chroma information (color). There is no audio in S-Video. The audio
must be handled separately.

Thanks a lot. I was just taking a shot.

S-Video is better quality than composite video (single coax) because
there is no interference between the luma and chroma information (the
video looks clearer). However, S-Video requires the two cables. Even
better is Component Video, which takes three cables. With all video,
coax should always be 75 ohm. In all cases, audio must be carried
separately.

Better yet is digital video such as DVI and HDMI.

Well, that sounds better than my idea. I still may run all those
wires some day. I run a decade or two behind high-tech.