Default vcr will not play,ffw,rev

Hi,

I have a front loader JVC VCR. I cleaned and lubricated and changed the
idler of the vcr recently. After this service the vcr worked ok for
some months. Then it started exhibiting the following problem:

Whenever I press play,ffw,or reverse it whirrs for a bit and then
stops. The counter does not move. This happens with all tapes I tried
(new or old)

I opened the top cover and inserted a tape cheater (casette box with
just the frame). I noticed that in all 3 cases, the idler moves to the
right position and the appropriate reel is turning for just a few
seconds and then the idler retracts back to normal position.

Anyone knows what may be happening and how can I repair? Note that I
want to do this repair as a hobby, because I can buy a quite brand new
VCR

Mark D. Zacharias

Maybe the idler isn't making it all the way over, maybe the idler or clutch
ass'y has a problem, or could be the reel belt is bad, or the mode switch
needs cleaning.

Mark Z.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a front loader JVC VCR. I cleaned and lubricated and changed the
idler of the vcr recently. After this service the vcr worked ok for
some months. Then it started exhibiting the following problem:

Whenever I press play,ffw,or reverse it whirrs for a bit and then
stops. The counter does not move. This happens with all tapes I tried
(new or old)

I opened the top cover and inserted a tape cheater (casette box with
just the frame). I noticed that in all 3 cases, the idler moves to the
right position and the appropriate reel is turning for just a few
seconds and then the idler retracts back to normal position.

Anyone knows what may be happening and how can I repair? Note that I
want to do this repair as a hobby, because I can buy a quite brand new
VCR

mode switch is a very common problem causing all kinds of erratic
spooling in the JVCs from a few years back i have seen
-Ben