meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on 15 Jan 2005 01:54:38 -0800
posted:

Hi,

I have a front loader JVC VCR. I cleaned and lubricated and changed the
idler of the vcr recently. After this service the vcr worked ok for
some months. Then it started exhibiting the following problem:

Whenever I press play,ffw,or reverse it whirrs for a bit and then
stops. The counter does not move. This happens with all tapes I tried
(new or old)

I opened the top cover and inserted a tape cheater (casette box with

When using that cheater (good name), it's probably transparent and you
have to be careful that the light on one side doesn't hit the sensor
on the other side. Then it will think there is no cassette, or at
least no tape in the casette. The one I bought had tape to obscure
the light, but the tape wasn't in quite the right place or wasn't big
enough.

just the frame). I noticed that in all 3 cases, the idler moves to the
right position and the appropriate reel is turning for just a few
seconds and then the idler retracts back to normal position.

Anyone knows what may be happening and how can I repair? Note that I
want to do this repair as a hobby, because I can buy a quite brand new
VCR

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.