Default Sumitomo Transistors any good?

Hi all,
Can anyone please help me?
I am working on a Crest 1400 power amp.
I replaced all 6 pairs of b600/d555 outputs (1 chan).
The amp played fine for 10 minutes at low volume
then I cranked it up (scope showed music appx 60vpp into 4 ohms)
then the same channel blew again. this time the pair of
2sa1006/2sc2336 (to220's) shorted too but the drivers
2sa1302/2sc2381 were still good. All other parts seem ok too.

I used Sumitomo brand transistors not NEC. So the question is...
Can anyone say good or bad about that brand? Or was there
something else that I missed?
Where can I get good INEXPENSIVE substitutes or must I use
only the NEC's? Where can I get the NEC's cheap?
the NEC's at MCM is about $8 times 12 pcs plus tax plus shipping!!
Thanks a million in advance...
baffled and disappointed

Tim Schwartz

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your problems. There have been lots of fake
transistors out there, often marked with legitimate brands. I have no
experience with Sumitomo transistors.

However, as far as I know, the Japanese numbering system is such that a
number is assigned to one brand only. For example, a 2SA1302 is a
Toshiba number, and no one else will make it. If Sony wanted to make a
device with the same specs, it would still be assigned a new number. So,
if the original transistors were NEC, anything with the same number, but
NOT NEC is suspect.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

wrote:

Hi all,
Can anyone please help me?
I am working on a Crest 1400 power amp.
I replaced all 6 pairs of b600/d555 outputs (1 chan).
The amp played fine for 10 minutes at low volume
then I cranked it up (scope showed music appx 60vpp into 4 ohms)
then the same channel blew again. this time the pair of
2sa1006/2sc2336 (to220's) shorted too but the drivers
2sa1302/2sc2381 were still good. All other parts seem ok too.

I used Sumitomo brand transistors not NEC. So the question is...
Can anyone say good or bad about that brand? Or was there
something else that I missed?
Where can I get good INEXPENSIVE substitutes or must I use
only the NEC's? Where can I get the NEC's cheap?
the NEC's at MCM is about $8 times 12 pcs plus tax plus shipping!!
Thanks a million in advance...
baffled and disappointed

klasspappa[remove]

I find what you say verry intresting.
Can you please tell me where I can read more about fake transistors and
Japanese numbering system.

Mr Nisse

wrote:

Hi all,
Can anyone please help me?
I am working on a Crest 1400 power amp.
I replaced all 6 pairs of b600/d555 outputs (1 chan).
The amp played fine for 10 minutes at low volume
then I cranked it up (scope showed music appx 60vpp into 4 ohms)
then the same channel blew again. this time the pair of
2sa1006/2sc2336 (to220's) shorted too but the drivers
2sa1302/2sc2381 were still good. All other parts seem ok too.

I used Sumitomo brand transistors not NEC. So the question is...
Can anyone say good or bad about that brand? Or was there
something else that I missed?
Where can I get good INEXPENSIVE substitutes or must I use
only the NEC's? Where can I get the NEC's cheap?
the NEC's at MCM is about $8 times 12 pcs plus tax plus shipping!!
Thanks a million in advance...
baffled and disappointed

Tim Schwartz

Hello,

The info on fake transistors was posted here in one of these news
groups in the last year or so. I did not save theatricals, but a search
should turn it up. My understanding on the Japanese numbering system
come from headers in Japanese transistor data books I have. I've never
checked with the industry association.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

wrote:

Hi all,
Can anyone please help me?
I am working on a Crest 1400 power amp.
I replaced all 6 pairs of b600/d555 outputs (1 chan).
The amp played fine for 10 minutes at low volume
then I cranked it up (scope showed music appx 60vpp into 4 ohms)
then the same channel blew again. this time the pair of
2sa1006/2sc2336 (to220's) shorted too but the drivers
2sa1302/2sc2381 were still good. All other parts seem ok too.

I used Sumitomo brand transistors not NEC. So the question is...
Can anyone say good or bad about that brand? Or was there
something else that I missed?
Where can I get good INEXPENSIVE substitutes or must I use
only the NEC's? Where can I get the NEC's cheap?
the NEC's at MCM is about $8 times 12 pcs plus tax plus shipping!!
Thanks a million in advance...
baffled and disappointed

El Meda

Tim Schwartz wrote:

Hello,

The info on fake transistors was posted here in one of these news
groups in the last year or so. I did not save theatricals, but a search
should turn it up. My understanding on the Japanese numbering system
come from headers in Japanese transistor data books I have. I've never
checked with the industry association.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

You can try: http://transfal.tripod.com/

It's a page in spanish, but with lots of pictures of counterfeit
transistors.
---
El Meda.

http://ingemeda.tripod.com/