Default Sumitomo Transistors any good?

Hi all,
Can anyone please help me?
I am working on a Crest 1400 power amp.
I replaced all 6 pairs of b600/d555 outputs (1 chan).
The amp played fine for 10 minutes at low volume
then I cranked it up (scope showed music appx 60vpp into 4 ohms)
then the same channel blew again. this time the pair of
2sa1006/2sc2336 (to220's) shorted too but the drivers
2sa1302/2sc2381 were still good. All other parts seem ok too.

I used Sumitomo brand transistors not NEC. So the question is...
Can anyone say good or bad about that brand? Or was there
something else that I missed?
Where can I get good INEXPENSIVE substitutes or must I use
only the NEC's? Where can I get the NEC's cheap?
the NEC's at MCM is about $8 times 12 pcs plus tax plus shipping!!
Thanks a million in advance...
baffled and disappointed