Jeff

Default plasma and lcd repairs

Hi
Does anyone know of somewhere online where I can learn about repairing
plasma and LCD TVs, plasma is becoming cheaper and cheaper now in the UK,
people seem to be buying them now. and alot of my customers are showing
interest in them. ime a self employed tech and are concerned about been left
behind in the technology race. ime hoping it to be at least 2 or 3 years
before it starts to affect me.
Thanks
Jeff

Eric

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi
Does anyone know of somewhere online where I can learn about repairing
plasma and LCD TVs, plasma is becoming cheaper and cheaper now in the UK,
people seem to be buying them now. and alot of my customers are showing
interest in them. ime a self employed tech and are concerned about been
left
behind in the technology race. ime hoping it to be at least 2 or 3 years
before it starts to affect me.
Thanks
Jeff

I got out of the repair business years ago. TOO MUCH HASSLE for little
money.
As a self employed tech it must be getting harder and harder to make a
living.It certainly was when I gave up 14 years ago.
No manufacturer support and buggering about getting parts. Also dealing
with dickhead customers ****ed me off.
Sooner or later it will be time to throw in the towel.
Lots of equipment is now near impossible to repair without lots of knowhow
and special test and desoldering equipment. Prices are coming down fast and
soon most equipment will go for recycling when it fails.

Best get a proper job now.
Plumber, plasterer, electrician or builder. Do the job, get paid and no
hassle. No repeat calls except for another job.
Thats where the money is and always will be.

Jeff

I got out of the repair business years ago. TOO MUCH HASSLE for little
money.

Sounds like you where crap at it then.
ive been doing it 14 year now and am still making a very good living,

"Eric" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Ross Mac

"Eric" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

You know, Eric pretty much has the picture....you CAN make a living at
consumer electronics, but it's a tough way to go. Might I suggest industrial
electronics. I kow most independants charge from $75 to $150 an hour out in
Silicon Valley, CA.
Good luck to you whatever you decide to do....Ross

Eric

"Eric" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

No need for that attitude! I used to work 12-15 hours a day 6 days a week as
a legitimate business. Made a fair amount of money but could see that the
repair business was in decline.

Had TV and video rentals, installed satellite dishes etc but the hassle of
doing the books ordering spares and doing the repairs, paying increasing
overheads and vehicle running costs was getting excessive.

I now work sensible hours having retrained as an electrician then learned
how to plaster to a high standard. Also occasionally help out a plumber Over
the past few years I invested in property and refurbished it myself. Now
have 3 houses on rent and own my own outright. I now get home to see the
family at 6 pm every night and earn a lot more than I ever could or did with
a lot less aggro. And I am happier for it.

If you are making a good living out of your business and doing it
legitimately and paying taxes etc then good luck because you need it.

NSM

"Jeff" wrote in message
| I got out of the repair business years ago. TOO MUCH HASSLE for little
| money.
|
| Sounds like you where crap at it then.
| ive been doing it 14 year now and am still making a very good
living,

No, he's right. I used to be able to make a good living repairing toasters,
kettles, irons etc., never mind tube radios and record players etc. 20 years
ago techs used to repair and recalibrate disk drives for computers. I used
to service them down to the board level.

Everything is disposable now. Even plasma TV's probably aren't a good way to
go - when the display is shot it seems the whole thing is toast.

James Sweet

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi
Does anyone know of somewhere online where I can learn about repairing
plasma and LCD TVs, plasma is becoming cheaper and cheaper now in the UK,
people seem to be buying them now. and alot of my customers are showing
interest in them. ime a self employed tech and are concerned about been

left
behind in the technology race. ime hoping it to be at least 2 or 3 years
before it starts to affect me.
Thanks
Jeff

About the only thing you can do is module swapping and typical power supply
repair and such, same skills you can use for CRT TV repair. The boards are
dense and complex enough with many custom parts so it's not really worth
trying to do component level repair on most of them and you need highly
specialized equipment to replace driver boards bonded to the panel.

Charles Schuler

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi
Does anyone know of somewhere online where I can learn about repairing
plasma and LCD TVs, plasma is becoming cheaper and cheaper now in the UK,
people seem to be buying them now. and alot of my customers are showing
interest in them. ime a self employed tech and are concerned about been
left
behind in the technology race. ime hoping it to be at least 2 or 3 years
before it starts to affect me.

Have you contacted Panasonic, Sony, and others to see if they offer any
workshops?

JohnAce

10 years ago you would find at least 25 repair places in my area in the yellow
pages, now you'ld be lucky to find 7. You would think we'd be busy but were are
not. Things are a changing and not too much business for the cheap stuff to
make a living like years ago when the phone rang off the hook.
NSM

"JohnAce" wrote in message
| 10 years ago you would find at least 25 repair places in my area in the
yellow
| pages, now you'ld be lucky to find 7. You would think we'd be busy but
were are
| not. Things are a changing and not too much business for the cheap stuff
| make a living like years ago when the phone rang off the hook.

If you look on eBay for test equipment all you see are various lots being
sold off from shops that have closed down. Are we going to have to ship
everything back to China for repairs?

Jerry G.

I have no idea about online training. But, these new types of TV sets are
serviced mostly at the modular level only, by the manufacture service reps.
They use the recommended jigs, and instrumentation for doing the necessary
adjustments, some of which also requires their dedicated software's and
interfaces. The particular details depends on the model and manufacture.

The circuit boards are built up using high density surface mount components,
with very few generic type parts in the way of the major semiconductors.

It would be best for the small service store to give this level of work out
to the manufacture rep who is properly set up for this type of work, and
bill the customer accordingly.

In true retrospect, I would think it is time to seriously consider the
service business for the small family owned business is coming to its end
time. Most of the new electronic products are manufactured at a level that
is very complex to service, and the lower end ones are designed as
throw-away.

During the warranty period, with many of the medium to low end electronics
products, the customer is given a new unit on exchange. The exchanged units
are generally stripped down and built back up again, using parts from other
exchanged units. As for the defective boards, if the fault is not something
that is an easy five minute fix, they are trashed. The so-called refurbished
sets are sold as refurbished. These generally end up in the flea markets, at
a reduced cost.

Because of the nature of the service industry, many of the small service
centres, and stores are closing up. The service work will be left to the
manufacture rep.

As for spare parts and schematics for the average level of electronic
devices, the manufactures generally do not supply them like they used to.
For
many of the average models of TV sets, and appliances, there is no longer
any out of warranty support.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi
Does anyone know of somewhere online where I can learn about repairing
plasma and LCD TVs, plasma is becoming cheaper and cheaper now in the UK,
people seem to be buying them now. and allot of my customers are showing
interest in them. ime a self employed tech and are concerned about been left
behind in the technology race. ime hoping it to be at least 2 or 3 years
before it starts to affect me.
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff

sounds like you are all in the usa, ime in UK and things aint that bad here
YET can still earn £60 for 15 to 30 mins of work for a crt widescreen tv
repair still costing £250+ to replace, and also the odd vcr as well. so at
the moment i will plod on as i am.

Thanks to james , charles and jerry for providing the info i asked for. what
sort of faults are plasma,s producing over there, are the power suplies
reliable or not so. and what sort of age are they starting to fail. thanks
again.

"Eric" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Yikes!ItsIke

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:37:12 GMT, "Eric"
wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

I have training manuals for Plasma & LCD TVs on my site at
http://www.manuals4you.com

Want to Fix Something?

http://www.manuals4you.com

http://www.moniserv.com/doc/tftpanel.htm this webb site has some