Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Dial up vs. cable questions

We have had cable internet for about two years now because my son and
his girlfriend who've been living with us needed it for her Ebay
business. Prior to that we had dial up. We generally managed a 45K or
there abouts connection with it. It was sometimes slow but I never
really had serious issues with it. The kids will be moving into their
own place next month and I have no need for the cable or the attached
internet service for 60.00 a month, thank you. So that will be leaving
too. Our needs are very basic. I check my NG's and email occaisionally
and visit a website now and then and my wife looks up things for her
graduate studies. I don't feel that we need the speed of cable or DSL
even for that matter. My son keeps telling me though (and spooking my
wife good and proper at the same time), that if I switch back to dialup
I won't be able to manage the popups and spyware and my computer will
be rendered useless. I find this hard to believe with so much dialup
still out there. Is there NO way to deal with these issues on dialup?
He says he will not have time to come over every other week to rebuild
my hard drive. Unfortunately I am not a real savy computer person so I
can't be sure if this is true or he's bull****ting me. So teally whats
the scoop on this? Also if this can be managed, could someone please
tell me what is the most reasonable reliable dialup service out there?
Thanks very much. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.