Larry Gagnon

Default beeswax in an oscillator compartment

I posted a few days ago about repairing a VHF marine radio. Thankfully I
solved my problem, locating three cold solder joints in the VCO, which
entailed removing metal shields and all the beeswax that coated all the
components. That was character building work!

I gather the beeswax is to ensure rigid components to maintain stability
of the oscillator? Any other reasons for it? Is it necessary for me to
remelt the old wax and spread it around as before, or can I get away with
just reshielding the VCO?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Larry VE7EA

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

Wolfgang F. Gärber

Hi,

I know at least 3 reasons for it:
1) in combination with foam to tighten air coils and to avoid microphonic
sideeffects.
2) prevent some areas (cap/ind) to change their behaviour with surrounding
humitity
3) fix rf-wire solder joints - prevent wire - transport (MW, LW (AM) coils)
....feel free to add other reasons ...

wolfgang

"Larry Gagnon" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
I posted a few days ago about repairing a VHF marine radio. Thankfully I
solved my problem, locating three cold solder joints in the VCO, which
entailed removing metal shields and all the beeswax that coated all the
components. That was character building work!

I gather the beeswax is to ensure rigid components to maintain stability
of the oscillator? Any other reasons for it? Is it necessary for me to
remelt the old wax and spread it around as before, or can I get away with
just reshielding the VCO?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Larry VE7EA

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"
Microsoft will soon release their newest product: a vacuum cleaner.
It will be their only product which doesn't suck.

WEBPA

I can think of many reasons...but the best is: This is what? A MARINE radio?
And in that environment (assuming salt water) there is what in the air? Salt?
Salt spray? If fresh water....what is the atmospheric relative humidity most of
the time? One hundred percent? Or a little less.

IOW: I'd melt some wax and pour it on.

I posted a few days ago about repairing a VHF marine radio. Thankfully I
solved my problem, locating three cold solder joints in the VCO, which
entailed removing metal shields and all the beeswax that coated all the
components. That was character building work!

I gather the beeswax is to ensure rigid components to maintain stability
of the oscillator? Any other reasons for it? Is it necessary for me to
remelt the old wax and spread it around as before, or can I get away with
just reshielding the VCO?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Larry VE7EA

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"
Microsoft will soon release their newest product: a vacuum cleaner.
It will be their only product which doesn't suck.

webpa

Jim Adney

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:22:32 -0800 Larry Gagnon
wrote:

I gather the beeswax is to ensure rigid components to maintain stability
of the oscillator? Any other reasons for it?

I believe one additional property of beeswax is that it has high
mechanical damping, so that it would quickly damp out any vibration in
those parts. So it might have been put there to reduce microfonics due
to changes in capacitance, etc, if the parts were subjected to
vibration.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Art

Also, to draw attention to al the "Killer Bees" in your area!! LOL My Father
had 10 honey bee hives and I helped attend to caring for them, that was over
15 years ago, however I still have about 20 pound blocks of refined wax is
storage. Once in a while make use for it to kill the ringing coils in the
new sets. Also for the nice decorative candles my wife adores. Basically
all the particular reasons have been iterated. Been used for many years very
successfully by the manufacturers and servicers.