Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Larry Gagnon

Default beeswax in an oscillator compartment

I posted a few days ago about repairing a VHF marine radio. Thankfully I
solved my problem, locating three cold solder joints in the VCO, which
entailed removing metal shields and all the beeswax that coated all the
components. That was character building work!

I gather the beeswax is to ensure rigid components to maintain stability
of the oscillator? Any other reasons for it? Is it necessary for me to
remelt the old wax and spread it around as before, or can I get away with
just reshielding the VCO?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Larry VE7EA

--