Guy Macon

Default [FA:] Triple decker substitution box

Mitch Berkson wrote:

Guy Macon wrote:

Because of the large demand for these, I am raising the price in order
to avoid being out of stock, so this is that last one I will be
offering at this low price.

Would have emailed this, but you don't give an email address. In the
auction description is the upper capacitance value a mistake? It looks like
there is a 0.08 uF cap, but the description says the capacitance range is
100 pF to 0.06 uF. So should probably be 0.17 uF?

Thanks! You are correct; that is an error. As you can see in picture
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
the on/off switches chose between the following values:

0.08uF
0.04uF
0.02uF
0.01uF = Top decade, adjustable from 0uf to 0.15uF in 0.01uF steps

0.008uF
0.004uF
0.002uF
0.001uF = Middle decade, adjustable from 0uf to 0.015uF in 0.001uF steps

800pF
400pF
200pF
100pF = Bottom decade, adjustable from 0pf to 1500pF in 100pF steps

So the total is adjustable from 0uF to 0.01665uF in 100pF steps.
The capacitors are +/- 7.5%, so that's the maximum difference from
setting error. You can, of course, tweak that up and down until
you are within 7.5pF of your desired value, subject to how accurate
your capacitance meter is.

I will correct the error on all future listings.

I would like to send you one for free for correcting my error.
Please email me with the address you want it sent to. If you
have bid on the auction, please let me know and I will cancel
your bid (unless, of course, you want two of them!) My email
address is engineer [at] guymacon [dot] com. Thanks again for
finding the error.

Rich Grise

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:15:32 +0000, Guy Macon wrote:

Mitch Berkson wrote:

Guy Macon wrote:

Because of the large demand for these, I am raising the price in order
to avoid being out of stock, so this is that last one I will be
offering at this low price.

Would have emailed this, but you don't give an email address. In the
auction description is the upper capacitance value a mistake? It looks like
there is a 0.08 uF cap, but the description says the capacitance range is
100 pF to 0.06 uF. So should probably be 0.17 uF?

Thanks! You are correct; that is an error. As you can see in picture
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
the on/off switches chose between the following values:

Universal resistor substitution box:
http://www.newark.com/product-detail...D121/4113.html

;-)
Rich

James Sweet

Universal resistor substitution box:
http://www.newark.com/product-detail...D121/4113.html

I usually just use pots myself, then replace them with fixed resistors when
the design is finalized.

Clarence

"Guy Macon" wrote in message

Mitch Berkson wrote:
Guy Macon wrote:

[...]

So how many did you sell?

keith

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:40:01 +0000, James Sweet wrote:

Universal resistor substitution box:
http://www.newark.com/product-detail...D121/4113.html

I usually just use pots myself, then replace them with fixed resistors when
the design is finalized.

Anyone who must yous pots, must be on drugs. Pots are used for
calibration, not design! Yikes!

--
Keith

NSM

"keith" wrote in message
news | On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:40:01 +0000, James Sweet wrote:
| I usually just use pots myself, then replace them with fixed resistors
when
| the design is finalized.
|
| Anyone who must yous pots, must be on drugs. Pots are used for
| calibration, not design! Yikes!

What works, works.

keith

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:54:59 +0000, NSM wrote:

"keith" wrote in message
news | On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:40:01 +0000, James Sweet wrote:
| I usually just use pots myself, then replace them with fixed resistors
when
| the design is finalized.
|
| Anyone who must yous pots, must be on drugs. Pots are used for
| calibration, not design! Yikes!

What works, works.

If one needs to use pots to design, it's (whatever "it" is) not likely to
work. I simply cannot imagine using a pot in the design phase. They're
ugly enough when they're needed to calibrate. Yeesh!

--
Keith

keith wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:54:59 +0000, NSM wrote:

If one needs to use pots to design, it's (whatever "it" is) not

likely to
work. I simply cannot imagine using a pot in the design phase.

They're
ugly enough when they're needed to calibrate. Yeesh!

--
Keith

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Keith:
It sounds to me that you are the one on drugs.
Good luck selling your triple decker substitution boxes.... they went
out with the dinosaurs.
Most design engineers DO NOT use substitution boxes but rather "tack
in" approximate values of resistors derived from calculation or
educated guesses and/or will use a pot in a finicky initial design
when experimenting with tolerances.
electricitym

Keith:
"yous" pots....... nice grammer and spelling.... maybe you are the
one on drugs.... or "pot" ? ?
electricitym

Clarence

"Guy Macon" wrote in message

Mitch Berkson wrote:

Guy Macon wrote:

Because of the large demand for these, I am raising the price in order
to avoid being out of stock, so this is that last one I will be
offering at this low price.

No sales? Not too surprised!

Sofie

No sales? Not too surprised!

I am not surprised either....... you can find this on his website
www.99dollarcomputer.com
I can not believe any serious electronics hobbiest is buying these.... even
at the EBay bid price of $31
At a few places I worked over the years, the design engineers would roughly
calculate or make an educated guess about the resistor value and reach in
the parts bin and solder tack on a resistor.... and then change it if need
be. I have seen them also use a potentiometer to zero in on a critical
value.... and they were not on drugs either as the OP suggested.
Dan
..
..
..

Clarence

"Sofie" wrote in message

No sales? Not too surprised!

I am not surprised either....... you can find this on his website
www.99dollarcomputer.com
I can not believe any serious electronics hobbiest is buying these.... even
at the EBay bid price of $31
At a few places I worked over the years, the design engineers would roughly
calculate or make an educated guess about the resistor value and reach in
the parts bin and solder tack on a resistor.... and then change it if need
be. I have seen them also use a potentiometer to zero in on a critical
value.... and they were not on drugs either as the OP suggested.
Dan
.

I actually understand the "name" and arbitrary pricing.
The name is a rip-off of the 99 cent store.
The arbitrary price is a way of pointing out what a bargain it is IF you pay
less.

I have rarely used a Decade box myself, and when I did it was a L&N .001% unit
used for precision calibration.

Bob Stephens

On 11 Dec 2004 22:11:02 -0800, wrote:

nice grammer and spelling

^^^^^^^
Jesus wept...
Asimov

"Clarence" bravely wrote to "All" (13 Dec 04 07:42:02)
--- on the heady topic of " [FA:] Triple decker substitution box"

Cl From: "Clarence"

Cl I have rarely used a Decade box myself, and when I did it was a L&N
Cl .001% unit used for precision calibration.

I have used a box in dB steps for reference signals. For other things
I used to simply use a pot but now mostly the circuit simulator and
solar scientific calculator (with emphasis on solar scientific).

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... New computer? But I like my vacuum tubes... They keep me warm.