mark

Default How do you test a volume pots?

Hi,
How do you test a volume pot (for an electric guitar) to see if it's working
correctly?
Thanks,
Mark

James Sweet

"mark" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,
How do you test a volume pot (for an electric guitar) to see if it's

working
correctly?
Thanks,
Mark

Measure the resistance between one of the side legs and the wiper (center
leg) as you rotate it through it's range. It should vary smoothly without
any dead spots.

Sofie

Mark:
Test procedure....... turn it all the way in one direction then turn it
all the way in the other direction..... the volume should change from
full-on loud to off or visa-versa depending on which way you first turned
it. Then try intermediate settings to see if the volume changes
accordingly. If there is noise or static while turning it then there are
either loose wires, dirty contacts or a worn out pot.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"mark" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,
How do you test a volume pot (for an electric guitar) to see if it's

working
correctly?
Thanks,
Mark

NSM

"mark" wrote in message
. ..
| Hi,
| How do you test a volume pot (for an electric guitar) to see if it's
working
| correctly?

There's no really good test except to use them in a circuit and listen to
the results. Multimeters aren't a good way to test these.

NSM

"mark" wrote in message
. ..
| Because one of my volume pots is working properly and uniformly from
maximum
| volume "10" to around "5" at which point the volume suddenly shuts off .
In
| other words, the volume turns on and off at 5 on the volume dial instead
of
| 0. Though it does reach maximum volume at 10 just like the other volume
pot
| which works perfectly from 10 to 0. I checked the connections and there
| doesn't seem to be any shorts (none of the terminals seem to be touching
any
| of the other ones.)

This might indicate a break in the pot in the middle. In that case I would
set to the 6 position and measure the resistances then repeat at the 4
position.

Asimov

"mark" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Nov 04 19:36:02)
--- on the heady topic of " How do you test a volume pots?"

ma From: "mark"

ma Because one of my volume pots is working properly and uniformly from
ma maximum volume "10" to around "5" at which point the volume suddenly
ma shuts off . In other words, the volume turns on and off at 5 on the
ma volume dial instead of 0. Though it does reach maximum volume at 10
ma just like the other volume pot which works perfectly from 10 to 0. I
ma checked the connections and there doesn't seem to be any shorts (none
ma of the terminals seem to be touching any of the other ones.)

This reminds me of something: guitarists would modify their pots by
deliberately cutting the track on one end. However this was done for
the Tone pot only. The idea was to remove the extra load of the Tone
pot to make the sound brighter. Is it possible that someone may have
recycled a modified Tone pot as a Volume pot in your guitar? If not,
then maybe the track is simply broken?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Guitar smashing doesn't bother me. Some "need" smashing. -Chet Atkins

NSM

"Joe" wrote in message
| If you know the protocal to use when testing potentioments with
multimeters
| it's fine. If you don't ... well ... you come to that conclusion.

No, only a test with an audio system will find noisy spots etc.