Michael

Default Help troubleshooting: Sony STR-D315

I have a somewhat old Sony STR-D315. The left speaker/headphone
output is sending highly intermittent signals, causing a crackling
sound in both the speaker and headphone.

Is there a particular component I can change out to fix this, or
should I just get another receiver. It is probably 8 years old.

Thanks,

Mike

CJT

Michael wrote:
I have a somewhat old Sony STR-D315. The left speaker/headphone
output is sending highly intermittent signals, causing a crackling
sound in both the speaker and headphone.

Is there a particular component I can change out to fix this, or
should I just get another receiver. It is probably 8 years old.

Thanks,

Mike

Start with visual inspection. Is it full of dust? Are there cold
solder joints? Loose wires?

Exercise the switches and pots and see whether one of them could be
the culprit.

Does it behave the same regardless of the input source?

FWIW, I have that same model, so I might be able to help with voltages,
etc. if you need any.

Michael

"CJT" wrote in message ...
Michael wrote:
I have a somewhat old Sony STR-D315. The left speaker/headphone
output is sending highly intermittent signals, causing a crackling
sound in both the speaker and headphone.

Is there a particular component I can change out to fix this, or
should I just get another receiver. It is probably 8 years old.

Thanks,

Mike

Start with visual inspection. Is it full of dust? Are there cold
solder joints? Loose wires?

Exercise the switches and pots and see whether one of them could be
the culprit.

Does it behave the same regardless of the input source?

FWIW, I have that same model, so I might be able to help with voltages,
etc. if you need any.

Yeah, thanks! I will take it apart over the holiday and have a good
look. It does behave the same regardless of input source.

Mike

Mark D. Zacharias

"Michael" wrote in message

"CJT" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking maybe a bad speaker relay, or solder connections somewhere.
This model isn't real prone to static type problems involving the
transistors etc.

Mark Z.