Isildur's Bane

Default Broken Ipaqs

I need some advice here. My old Palm 3 is going to the garbage soon
(dead), and I was wondering if it was worth purchasing a broken Ipaq
from eBay? You know the ones I'm talking about - they look like
someone drive a pen almost through the body (a star crack). Usually,
the LCD and digitizer are completely destroyed. I did a bit of
checking and those digitizer/LCD replacement panels are expensive
($99.00 and up).

Is it worth purchasing one and then buying an expensive replacement
panel?

-IB

``This game lends itself to certain abuses.''
-- Bill Watterson's Calvin
Jerry G.

Going from my experience from being in the service business, I would say NO.
You would have no idea of any other damage that is internal to the unit. You
also do not know if there was any internal tampering, thus making things
more difficult and expensive to service.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Isildur's Bane" wrote in message
I need some advice here. My old Palm 3 is going to the garbage soon
(dead), and I was wondering if it was worth purchasing a broken Ipaq
from eBay? You know the ones I'm talking about - they look like
someone drive a pen almost through the body (a star crack). Usually,
the LCD and digitizer are completely destroyed. I did a bit of
checking and those digitizer/LCD replacement panels are expensive
($99.00 and up).

Is it worth purchasing one and then buying an expensive replacement
panel?

-IB

``This game lends itself to certain abuses.''
-- Bill Watterson's Calvin

jakdedert

Jerry G. wrote:
Going from my experience from being in the service business, I would
say NO. You would have no idea of any other damage that is internal
to the unit. You also do not know if there was any internal
tampering, thus making things more difficult and expensive to service.

In addition, even broken PDA's are selling for a significant percentage of
'used-working' prices. I don't know who's buying up all those broken PDA's,
digicams and laptops on ebay, but I'm astounded at the prices they're
commanding.

jak

Barry & Nikki

I'm sure its sellers driving up their own prices. I run into the same
scenario with car audio stuff. A stated/obvious "BROKEN" car stereo that I
can use for parts more often then not sells for near retail. Its sickening
what Ebay allows to go on. But then again they are making $$ from it if a
legitimate buyer gets lured in.

"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .

snip

In addition, even broken PDA's are selling for a significant percentage of
'used-working' prices. I don't know who's buying up all those broken

PDA's,
digicams and laptops on ebay, but I'm astounded at the prices they're
commanding.

jak

James Sweet

"Barry & Nikki" wrote in message
I'm sure its sellers driving up their own prices. I run into the same
scenario with car audio stuff. A stated/obvious "BROKEN" car stereo that I
can use for parts more often then not sells for near retail. Its sickening
what Ebay allows to go on. But then again they are making $$ from it if a
legitimate buyer gets lured in.

It can't all be that, personally I think there's a lot of either idiots who
think they can fix it cheap/free and be good to go, or people who have an
otherwise working unit and can see the one on ebay has the parts they need.
Just look at the prices on computer parts, some of that stuff is sky high.