JURB6006

Default Luxman M117 power ratings (new thread)

Hi;

I appreciate everyone's participation in the last thread, but I was thinking. .
.. . .

I started a new thread because the old one is getting old enough to get missed.

Right now can't find the original thread in a couple pages, sorted by OP date.

Anyway I'd like to respond to a response that I could use my fluke (has TRMS)
to measure the RMS and then do the simple calculation V^2/inpedance.

I've thought about this and I submit that I think it'll result in even lower
numbers. Looking at your typical audio waveform I believe that it would be
lower than what the Fluke would decipher from a pure sine wave. I wouldn't let
it clip of course, but a sinewave would load the PS rail down even more. Is
that what you meant ? or did you mean to NOT simply do the RMS calculation in
the math stage ?

From your suggestion, I figure even my numbers to be inflated then. Also, to do
it with real music the Fluke would keep changing the reading, but if I
absolutely didn't let it clip (on the scope) and used the highest reading I got
in a certain time period, I might get a truer number. Also if the amp were
feeding a real life speaker instead of a resistor, while power at lower
frequencies will be higher per volt, that will of course load the rails down
harder.

We're getting to the point where we need to figure out how damn much power is
it ?

How about a voltage rating and a minimum impedance ? Let the public know the
"secrets" of Ohm's law for a change. I use an analogy to car headlights. At 72
watts, well each one is 36, that is because they are 4 ohms each and they are
hooked together. That 6 amps, not because Ohm invented the thing, what he did
was to mathematically express a natural relationship. I go on with that's why
that thing in your car in the 80's was NOT 200 watts when it only has a 6 amp
fuse.

If they can't figure that out, I forget talking technical stuff with them.
Waste of time. In a perfect world you wouldn't even have a highschool diploma
without being able to comprehend Ohm's law. (and know how to drive)

The thing that really interested me in that amp was the fact that I saw a 2
ohms rating of 700 RMS per ch. My speakers are a hair over two ohms and I need
to aquire an amp soon that can run them. What I'm using is so old and decrepit
that I need to change it out.

That is not my sole interest in the subject by any means, but that's what
started it.

Anyway I appreciate opinions, So thanks again.

JURB

Power surges Cheryl Home Repair 54 June 25th 04 08:50 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Power surges 1/ 2 barry martin Home Repair 0 June 5th 04 10:48 AM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM
power flushing Andy Hall UK diy 4 September 9th 03 11:59 PM