James Gussen

Default listen to internet radio 2 rms away from computer - how?

Hello,

I'm posting this query to sci.electronics.repair because when I google
the topic, the most relevant posts seem to be on this newsgroup;
please forgive me if it's off-topic. Also, if anyone knows another
newsgroup where it might be good/better for me to post it, please let
me know.

I like to listen to streaming radio stations on my computer, but I'd
like to be able to listen to them elsewhere in my (small) apartment
too. I think that means I want to get wireless speakers and somehow
transmit the streaming audio from my computer across the apartment to
those speakers, but I don't know how to do this and what I will need
to shop for. I do not presently have a wireless card or wireless
network.

I would also be interested in finding out how to put the streaming
audio through my stereo receiver, which is just in the next room from
the computer - but I will also want to have wireless speakers, because
I most like to listen to the radio in the kitchen (next room over from
the stereo).

Thanks very much for reading if you've read this far, and thank you in
advance for any assistance.

Jim Gussen
jakdedert

James Gussen wrote:
[...]

Wireless speakers: buy a pair and hook the transmitter up to your sound card
outputs.

Computer audio to Stereo system: Buy an FM transmitter and hook up to you
sound card outputs.

For both of the above at the same time, plus computer speakers, it would be
good to have some isolation between the devices. A simple resistive network
would do it, but that probably involves more technical acumen than you have.
It's possible that all will play nice together with a couple of 'Y' cords
feeding them.

An alternative to wireless speakers would be a boom box in your kitchen,
tuned to your FM transmitter.

jak

Jim Gussen

James Gussen

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:14:55 -0500, "jakdedert"
wrote:

James Gussen wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much for your help jak - I think I am going to get an RF
transmitter, hook it up to my computer, and tune it in on my stereo
receiver or my boombox in the kitchen (which is a Tivoli Model Two).

In terms of purchasing a good RF transmitter - the brands I've had
recommended to me are Belkin and Griffin, and I notice that Griffin
makes the iTrip. Would either of these do fine, do you think, or is
there another make/model I should be looking for?

Best, and thanks again -

Jim