Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default cheap recommended lighted glasses with magnifier?

Have recently set up a small work bench with scope, signal generator and
various other test equipment. The only magnifier I have is a glass I
cannibalized from a broken "helping hands". The glass is mounted to one
of those small snake lamps with the lamp removed. However, I find this
more inconvenient than convenient because it takes up space I need for
working.

What would you recommend for glasses that's cheap, has a built in light
and maybe has variable magnification and mag is such that I can view a
circuit board without bending down over the device? I suppose a flip up
or away magnifier might be useful too. I don't wear glasses normally.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

https://www.quadhands.com/products/q...13492310573107

The magnetic base is extremely powerful, so it will attach to any steel base anywhere. It has a very good twin LED light and a very sharp magnifier. The flexes are quite strong and hold position very well. I wear glasses, so magnifying glasses are not a comfortable options, never mind the weight. Do be aware of the weight. It may not bother you at first, but anything more than an ounce or two *WILL* bother you over time. But, along those lines, are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiV...dp/B0015IS6K2/ which come in a variety of magnifications. I am not sure if they come with built-in lighting.

Here is the full line. https://www.quadhands.com/collections/all

Note: Good tools are not cheap. And cheap tools are not good.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 8:42:38 AM UTC-4, Erik W wrote:
Have recently set up a small work bench with scope, signal generator and
various other test equipment. The only magnifier I have is a glass I
cannibalized from a broken "helping hands". The glass is mounted to one
of those small snake lamps with the lamp removed. However, I find this
more inconvenient than convenient because it takes up space I need for
working.

What would you recommend for glasses that's cheap, has a built in light
and maybe has variable magnification and mag is such that I can view a
circuit board without bending down over the device? I suppose a flip up
or away magnifier might be useful too. I don't wear glasses normally.

Thanks in advance.

I use and like a binocular headband magnifier, very similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Magn...838872&sr=8-25

The one I got is a no-name brand that I picked up at a hamfest years ago.
All the lenses are plastic. in addition to one fixed lens, there are two additional lenses that fold up out of the way into the visor. My magnifiers are 2x, 4x, 8x. IMHO, using tools with the 2x and 4x on, such as soldering, requires a little getting used to. I find the 8x almost impossible to use with tools and only comes in handy for inspection and for me, can't be worn for long.
I found the external loop handy in a few situations.
I am not a fan of the built in lighting system as they are not usually well directed to the workpiece and tend not to be very bright.
I like that the visor portion folds up and out of the way when not needed.
Given these are plastic lenses, the optical quality is not that great and may be a challenge if you wear them for a long period of time. If that is the case, I suggest looking at high grade optical lenses (perhaps glass?). The price will definitely go up.
Good luck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/12/2021 10:17 AM, Three Jeeps wrote:
[...]

Similar but even cheaper and for $5.00 worth a try at Harbor Freight:
https://bit.ly/3oiG8Jn

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 8:35:05 PM UTC-4, Bennett Price wrote:
[...]

I bought the HF visor today. Surprisingly it isn't bad at all, especially for the price, but I don't do hours of close work. And you do have to bend over close to the work, which the OP didn't want. For me though it means no longer having to find one of my kids when I need to read the fine print on a medication container, paint can, any of the usual things i struggle with.