DemoDisk

Default Blue shadows after repair

Hi, folks; back again...

I got my 19" monitor back Tuesday from the shop after a long-delayed repair.
The image is good now, but now there is a color problem.

Used to be that shades of red onscreen always revealed a small bluish smudge
near the center of the screen, but that didn't spoil it for graphics work.
Now, there is blue "dust" down the left-hand side, the center, and lower
right corner. What happened??

My question is, can anything be done about this? To avoid another 3-week
hassle, is there anything I can do myself to correct the color? Is it the
repairman's responsibility?

One more thing: This Hitachi 751 has a "Degauss" button. Pressing it used to
bounce the image on the screen violently, with the same "bonk" the monitor
made when turning it on. I guessed that was just the degausser degaussing.
Now nothing happens. Opinions??

For reference, I've pasted Jerry Greenberg's answer to my original problem.
(Yeah, it took me that long to get it to the shop.) Sorry for the long
post. As before, I'm grateful for your thoughts.

Jerry G.

It sounds like the servicer forgot to connect back the degaussing coil, or
this has failed.

How old is the monitor, and how much did you have to lay out to have it
fixed???

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"DemoDisk" wrote in message
[...]

DemoDisk

"Jerry G." wrote in message
It sounds like the servicer forgot to connect back the degaussing coil, or
this has failed.

How old is the monitor, and how much did you have to lay out to have it
fixed???

--

Jerry G.
==========================

Jerry G.! Good to hear from you again. Here is some data from the back of
the monitor:

Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751
Mod. No. CM751U
Manufactured September 1999

S. No. CM751U - 515 and then
# V9I 041301

The recent repair cost $55. Think it was worth it? I guess I should have put
the money into a new one instead.

JPM

DemoDisk

"Ray" wrote in message ...
Putting both of those symptoms together, I'd say the servicer may

have
forgotten to plug the degaussing coil back into the motherboard.

Ray

Thanks for your answer, Ray.

Two questions, please. Are degaussing coils supposed to behave like that
(i.e, "Bonk," and the image shaking like that?) And did you mean that
plugging in the degaussing coil would eliminate the blue shadowing? I'd do
it myself if I could avoid hauling it back to the shop again, but I'm no
technician.

JPM

James Sweet

"DemoDisk" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message

Putting both of those symptoms together, I'd say the servicer may

have
forgotten to plug the degaussing coil back into the motherboard.

Ray

Thanks for your answer, Ray.

Two questions, please. Are degaussing coils supposed to behave like that
(i.e, "Bonk," and the image shaking like that?) And did you mean that
plugging in the degaussing coil would eliminate the blue shadowing? I'd

do
it myself if I could avoid hauling it back to the shop again, but I'm no
technician.

JPM

Yes that's exactly what they're supposed to do.

And yes it should solve the purity error you're seeing. The problem should
be pretty obvious, the coil is usually wound over with black electrical tape
and goes around the bell of the CRT, plugs into the board with a 2 prong
connector.

Jerry G.

Hi,

I would consider $55 not much for a repair. I would have gambled on this
myself, as long as I know that the CRT emission is good. When we start
talking about $150 to $200 and up for servicing this type of set, I
would then have second thoughts. Each of us have our own opinions about
where the value cut-off point is for this type of thing. I am a bit of a
gambler at times. Believe me, I've had my share of losses and gains in
guessing at things.

I would have them check the degaussing coil, and its connections before
panicking about other possible faults.

--

Jerry G.
======

blue is better deborah barrie UK diy 8 March 19th 04 09:45 PM
How to repair an UFO? Adam Ben Nalois Electronics Repair 27 January 18th 04 03:37 AM
Rear projection TV repair? Owlman Electronics Repair 3 November 2nd 03 04:17 AM
Pioneer SD-P5183 projection TV needs repair in Central Florida Joe Electronics Repair 1 October 24th 03 10:37 AM
LaserDisc Repair? Steve Reinis Electronics Repair 4 September 17th 03 08:31 PM