Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.os.windows-10

Default USB always on

I have an Acer E15 E5 laptop two usb3 ports and one usb2, and when I
plug a flashdrive into one of the USB3 (but not the other ports) it
lights up even when the computer is off, and when it's not plugged in.
What's with that?

I've never seen this mentioned in a spec. Is it about waking up the
laptop? (Will this be true on my desktop too?) I've heard of wake-up on
LAN and iirc wake-up on phone (???), but not wake-up on USB.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.os.windows-10

On 3/11/2021 9:13 PM, micky wrote:
I have an Acer E15 E5 laptop two usb3 ports and one usb2, and when I
plug a flashdrive into one of the USB3 (but not the other ports) it
lights up even when the computer is off, and when it's not plugged in.
What's with that?

I've never seen this mentioned in a spec. Is it about waking up the
laptop? (Will this be true on my desktop too?) I've heard of wake-up on
LAN and iirc wake-up on phone (???), but not wake-up on USB.

That's a port designed to charge cell phones etc. even when the laptop
is off or unplugged from AC.

RwP

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.os.windows-10

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 11 Mar 2021 21:24:53 -0600, Ralph Phillips
wrote:

On 3/11/2021 9:13 PM, micky wrote:
I have an Acer E15 E5 laptop two usb3 ports and one usb2, and when I
plug a flashdrive into one of the USB3 (but not the other ports) it
lights up even when the computer is off, and when it's not plugged in.
What's with that?

I've never seen this mentioned in a spec. Is it about waking up the
laptop? (Will this be true on my desktop too?) I've heard of wake-up on
LAN and iirc wake-up on phone (???), but not wake-up on USB.

That's a port designed to charge cell phones etc. even when the laptop
is off or unplugged from AC.

What a good idea. But I never heard about it before. :-)

RwP

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.os.windows-10

micky wrote

I have an Acer E15 E5 laptop two usb3 ports and one usb2,
and when I plug a flashdrive into one of the USB3 (but not
the other ports) it lights up even when the computer is off,
and when it's not plugged in. What's with that?

Its done like that so you can have wake on keyboard or mouse.

I've never seen this mentioned in a spec.

Its common with the best desktop motherboard manuals.

Is it about waking up the laptop?

Yep, when you have a keyboard or mouse plugged into that port.

(Will this be true on my desktop too?)

Yep.

I've heard of wake-up on LAN and iirc wake-up
on phone (???), but not wake-up on USB.

Its normally called wake on mouse or keyboard.
Obviously with usb keyboards and mice.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.os.windows-10

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 12 Mar 2021 16:43:48 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

micky wrote

I have an Acer E15 E5 laptop two usb3 ports and one usb2,
and when I plug a flashdrive into one of the USB3 (but not
the other ports) it lights up even when the computer is off,
and when it's not plugged in. What's with that?

Its done like that so you can have wake on keyboard or mouse.

That could be good.

I've never seen this mentioned in a spec.

Its common with the best desktop motherboard manuals.

Is it about waking up the laptop?

Yep, when you have a keyboard or mouse plugged into that port.

(Will this be true on my desktop too?)

Yep.

I've heard of wake-up on LAN and iirc wake-up
on phone (???), but not wake-up on USB.

Its normally called wake on mouse or keyboard.
Obviously with usb keyboards and mice.

That would have attracted my attention even more, using words I know
like mouse and keyboard. (I still have trouble with high tech like USB,
so I skim over them. )

But this is good. I always use and external mouse and keyboard, so I'll
plug one of them into that jack.

Haha, the only reason I plugged it in was because I was trying to see if
I could plug in two things side by side. Flashdrives are narrow but
this laptop has no 3.5mm jacks, so I need** a USB to 3.5 adapter and
they have an amazing amount of circuity in them which makes them either
0.79 or 0.81 inches, except for the first one below which puts the
electronics at the 3.5mm end, not the USB end.

narrow one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...T49GGF3B&psc=1
wider one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TGSOMSJG&psc=1
This one and another one push the fact that they are narrower than
some others, but they're still wider than one above that puts the
electronics at the other end!

**Wait!! I fixed the desktop so I don't need the laptop while I'm home.
I'll talk about that in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...T49GGF3B&psc=1

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.os.windows-10

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 11 Mar 2021 22:13:09 -0500, micky
wrote:

I have an Acer E15 E5 laptop two usb3 ports and one usb2, and when I
plug a flashdrive into one of the USB3 (but not the other ports) it
lights up even when the computer is off, and when it's not plugged in.
What's with that?

I've never seen this mentioned in a spec. Is it about waking up the
laptop? (Will this be true on my desktop too?) I've heard of wake-up on
LAN and iirc wake-up on phone (???), but not wake-up on USB.

It does say it in the owner's manual. I read it but didn't understand
what it meant: "USB port with power-off charging"

On page 57 it says "Some USB 3.0 ports support charging devices
when the computer is in Hibernate or turned off.", but I hadn't read
that.

And there's a headset/speaker jack too. I forgot I'd read that and the
little hole is hardly noticeable.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.os.windows-10

"micky" wrote in message
news
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 12 Mar 2021 16:43:48 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

micky wrote

[...]

That problem is trivially fixed by using a tiny usb extension cord or a usb
hub.

**Wait!! I fixed the desktop so I don't need the laptop while I'm home.
I'll talk about that in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...T49GGF3B&psc=1

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.os.windows-10

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 01:06 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 01:06:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

01:06??? And you are up and trolling ALREADY, yet AGAIN? Or are you STILL
up? Always hard to tell with you obnoxious sleepless trolling senile
asshole!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

USB always on micky Home Repair 14 March 13th 21 04:18 AM
Do they make a Motorola RAZR 5-pin USB 2.0 to mini-USB cable? Daniel Prince Home Repair 0 April 9th 13 12:07 PM
Do they make a Motorola RAZR 5-pin USB 2.0 to mini-USB cable? Francis C. Electronics Repair 13 April 8th 13 08:25 PM
Followup USB malfunction ? / Ezbus digital mixer /Ez-usb USB chip N_Cook Electronics Repair 16 June 7th 10 11:28 AM
USB datacomm cable for USB datacomm cable for SonyEricsson cellphone J300i Seventh Prince Electronics Repair 0 September 26th 05 11:20 AM