Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default USB always on

micky wrote

I have an Acer E15 E5 laptop two usb3 ports and one usb2,
and when I plug a flashdrive into one of the USB3 (but not
the other ports) it lights up even when the computer is off,
and when it's not plugged in. What's with that?

Its done like that so you can have wake on keyboard or mouse.

I've never seen this mentioned in a spec.

Its common with the best desktop motherboard manuals.

Is it about waking up the laptop?

Yep, when you have a keyboard or mouse plugged into that port.

(Will this be true on my desktop too?)

Yep.

I've heard of wake-up on LAN and iirc wake-up
on phone (???), but not wake-up on USB.

Its normally called wake on mouse or keyboard.
Obviously with usb keyboards and mice.