Tom_in_TO

Default vcr acting up (ge profect 4 head #vg4019)

Hi everyone. My vcr, a GE pro-fect-model no vg4019 is not working. When I
plug it in, the display flashes on and off, and when I insert a tape, I hear
a whirring noise for a short time, and then nothing. Is it possible to tell
what might be the problem? I'd like to try to fix it myself if it's not too
complex, so would appreciate directions on what to do.

Thank you
Tom

Sofie

Lance Dyer has the absolutely correct advice on this one..... probably the
feedback electrolytic in the primary (22uf/16v BP) and several of the high
uf/low volt units in the secondary.
ALL the caps in these SMPS units are suspect and should be properly checked
and/or replaced. Not a very expensive repair at most shops that have the
necessary test equipment, replacement parts, tools, etc ...... AND a tech
with the much needed electronics knowledge and repair experience.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Lance Dyer" wrote in message
bad cap in the power supply is the most likely culprit

read the Faqs on this

"Tom_in_TO" wrote in message
. ..
Hi everyone. My vcr, a GE pro-fect-model no vg4019 is not working.

When
plug it in, the display flashes on and off, and when I insert a tape, I
hear
a whirring noise for a short time, and then nothing. Is it possible to
tell
what might be the problem? I'd like to try to fix it myself if it's not
too
complex, so would appreciate directions on what to do.

Thank you
Tom

bobinphx

I would take the top off and see if the tape is moving at all during the
whirling noise. If the tape is moving, the reel sensor is not telling the
vcr that the tape is moving. This is most likely dust. If the tape is not
moving, then I would suspect the clutch or drive bands are slipping or
shot.... Just my two cents. \

Bob in phx

New shower head for my Gainsborough Energy 2000x destroyed my unit :-( Siatro UK diy 2 August 18th 04 10:59 AM
Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic Wild Bill Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 04 01:41 AM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 04:40 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM