NAREN PETLU

Default STR-30115

Hi ,

I have a STR-30110 blown up . Can this be replaced with STR-30115 ?
STR-30110 is used in Durabrand TV SMPS.

Thanks

JURB6006

Nope, that's 115 volts instead of 110 output. Sometimes we've used 123s for
125s in a pinch, but that's about as far as I go. If the original were a 115
and all you had was a 110 it would work, but it wouldn't be quite right.

The 30110 should be less than $10, use the right part, but find out why it
blew, make sure the HOT isn't shorted etc.

This set will most likely have a ballast resistor so you can troubleshoot with
the regulator removed. It'll run but the pix will shrink and cut out when the
brightness gets high, but you get the chance to see that the components can
operate at least near their rated levels.

One rule I've had for many years I find applies in about only 70% of the jobs
these days: The first part you find bad should be the last one you replace. In
other words, when a job pops up on my bench with a blown fuse, the fuse is the
ulast/u thing that gets installed. I try to wait until I know what caused
it and that, the root problem, has been corrected.

Lucky you, at least you don't have to deal with an SMPS.

JURB
Jason D.

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:08:25 -0400, "NAREN PETLU"
wrote:

Hi ,

I have a STR-30110 blown up . Can this be replaced with STR-30115 ?
STR-30110 is used in Durabrand TV SMPS.

Thanks

This STR-30xxx is 1 amp linear regulator and "xxx" is the regulated
voltage output. So must use same STR-30110. There will be blown
parts (I never see a regulator of type to erupt in big smoke. Finding
the reason for blowing regulator this requires dmm to check and find
bad parts with set unplugged from power. Requires isolated
transformer supply to measure things with running tv in hot chassis of
this type. Tools like this is expenesive For this reason you have to
send it to the shop for proper repair if you don't have the proper
troubleshooting skills and this kind of tools for safety.

Cheers,

Wizard