Mike

Default RCA CTC185AB dead

I was givin this TV in the respect that I could fix it. its a nice 27inch TV
set with the notorious ctc185 chassis in it. The reason I took this on,
because I have successfully repaired the same exact TV that had a bad
flyback, HOT, regulator etc... its still working to this day.

this one just gives 3 pulses, no startup. sounds like HV pulses. I checked
all the major components, including the regulator circuit, and found NOTHING
shorted. So hopefully the flyback didnt fail on this one. (probably did)

the B+ on the hot varies from 164 to 168vdc. in standby.

As soon as I hit the power button, the B+ shoots up to 200vdc. Any ideas? Im
thinking regulator. Again.

john

Mike go here and take a look....

http://wa6ati.com/CTC185.html

kip

Mike

been there.

"john" wrote in message
.. .
Mike go here and take a look....

http://wa6ati.com/CTC185.html

kip

john

Where do you live I will come over and fix it for you ...lol
Best start with the reg section plus ESR the caps ,then the usuall
trouble shooting procedures .
Those sets can be sods to work on...
Good Luck

kip

Rich.Andrews

"john" wrote in news:newscache$4l8g2i$zq6$1
@newsfeed.niagara.com:

Where do you live I will come over and fix it for you ...lol
Best start with the reg section plus ESR the caps ,then the usuall
trouble shooting procedures .
Those sets can be sods to work on...
Good Luck

kip

It is sets like that that caused me to rethink my career goals. I am glad I
got out of the TV repair business. RCA has put out some real junk and some
even screwier circuits.

RonKZ650

You need to order the new regulator transistor that comes with about 10 other
parts to repair the problem. It's cheap and easy. I don't have the part number
here, but if you order the regulator FET it comes as the correct kit. About
$7-8
john

Be careful NOT all CTC185,s use the Kit.

kip

john

The kit is RCA 231523 good for ONLY CTC185A/B/C/D/M/N/AA/AB.

kip

Mike

6 dollars. Hopefully thatll fix it.

The last one I did, I had to buy that kit, and a new HOT, and a new flyback.

"john" wrote in message
.. .
The kit is RCA 231523 good for ONLY CTC185A/B/C/D/M/N/AA/AB.

kip

RonKZ650

Be careful NOT all CTC185,s use the Kit.

kip

Right, I should have mentioned that fact. Also quite a few CTC185 have yoke
failure and CRT with no vaccuum. (probably a secondary effect of the yoke
failure).
Ron