DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   RCA CTC185AB dead (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/65065-rca-ctc185ab-dead.html)

Mike August 14th 04 06:16 AM

RCA CTC185AB dead

I was givin this TV in the respect that I could fix it. its a nice 27inch TV
set with the notorious ctc185 chassis in it. The reason I took this on,
because I have successfully repaired the same exact TV that had a bad
flyback, HOT, regulator etc... its still working to this day.

this one just gives 3 pulses, no startup. sounds like HV pulses. I checked
all the major components, including the regulator circuit, and found NOTHING
shorted. So hopefully the flyback didnt fail on this one. (probably did)

the B+ on the hot varies from 164 to 168vdc. in standby.

As soon as I hit the power button, the B+ shoots up to 200vdc. Any ideas? Im
thinking regulator. Again.

john August 14th 04 01:09 PM

Mike go here and take a look....

http://wa6ati.com/CTC185.html

kip

Mike August 14th 04 06:56 PM

been there.

"john" wrote in message
.. .
Mike go here and take a look....

http://wa6ati.com/CTC185.html

kip

john August 14th 04 07:27 PM

Where do you live I will come over and fix it for you ...lol
Best start with the reg section plus ESR the caps ,then the usuall
trouble shooting procedures .
Those sets can be sods to work on...
Good Luck

kip

Rich.Andrews August 14th 04 10:52 PM

"john" wrote in news:newscache$4l8g2i$zq6$1
@newsfeed.niagara.com:

Where do you live I will come over and fix it for you ...lol
Best start with the reg section plus ESR the caps ,then the usuall
trouble shooting procedures .
Those sets can be sods to work on...
Good Luck

kip

It is sets like that that caused me to rethink my career goals. I am glad I
got out of the TV repair business. RCA has put out some real junk and some
even screwier circuits.

RonKZ650 August 15th 04 05:55 AM

You need to order the new regulator transistor that comes with about 10 other
parts to repair the problem. It's cheap and easy. I don't have the part number
here, but if you order the regulator FET it comes as the correct kit. About
$7-8

john August 15th 04 02:04 PM

Be careful NOT all CTC185,s use the Kit.

kip

john August 15th 04 03:05 PM

The kit is RCA 231523 good for ONLY CTC185A/B/C/D/M/N/AA/AB.

kip

Mike August 15th 04 06:00 PM

6 dollars. Hopefully thatll fix it.

The last one I did, I had to buy that kit, and a new HOT, and a new flyback.

.. .

RonKZ650 August 17th 04 01:57 AM

Be careful NOT all CTC185,s use the Kit.

kip

Right, I should have mentioned that fact. Also quite a few CTC185 have yoke
failure and CRT with no vaccuum. (probably a secondary effect of the yoke
failure).
Ron