Michael A. Covington

Default Fixed a noisy yoke

Some of you may recall my thread, titled "Buzzing flyback," about a sound
that turned out to be coming from the deflection yoke in a computer monitor.

I fixed it with PVC pipe cement, which is a cheap and readily available,
versatile plastic sealant. I poured about an ounce of it slowly all over
and into the yoke, including the space between the yoke and the CRT.

Specifically, I found a position in which the monitor wasn't noisy (lying on
its side) and did much of the pouring from that direction, to try to fix the
loose part (whatever it might be) in that position. It worked.

Because the cement is flammable, you should always let the monitor cool down
before applying it, then let it dry for several hours, until the smell is
almost gone.

JURB6006

On the NAP chassis' I found the easiest way is to simply turn it upside down,
reverse the plugs and reset the purity/convergence.

I realize this may not be possible on a computer monitor because there are
usually a few tertiary coils, and even on an NTSC set it's probably not the
best solution. The NAP lends itself well to the procedure though because the H
& V windings are on seperate plugs.

JURB

mo

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message ...
Some of you may recall my thread, titled "Buzzing flyback," about a sound
that turned out to be coming from the deflection yoke in a computer monitor.

I fixed it with PVC pipe cement, which is a cheap and readily available,
versatile plastic sealant. I poured about an ounce of it slowly all over
and into the yoke, including the space between the yoke and the CRT.

Specifically, I found a position in which the monitor wasn't noisy (lying on
its side) and did much of the pouring from that direction, to try to fix the
loose part (whatever it might be) in that position. It worked.

Because the cement is flammable, you should always let the monitor cool down
before applying it, then let it dry for several hours, until the smell is
almost gone.

Sort of tempted to try that but am concerned if it doesn't work for
me,then I'll never be able to remove the yoke to try dipping it in a
bath of lacquer or something.My unit is a Grundig television.
Michael A. Covington

"~" wrote in message ...
another thing you forgot to mention is the high voltage risks.

I hereby mention the high-voltage risks.

Paul of Dayton

We used to use hot glue...
PoD

"Max Harding vk3jin" maxh10(NO SPAM wrote in
message u...
when i have sets in with a noisy EHT transformer I use spray lacquer

paint
this gets into the part that creats the noise this can be used for yokes

as
well.
"mo" wrote in message
om...
[...]

mo

"Max Harding vk3jin" maxh10(NO SPAM wrote in message . au...
when i have sets in with a noisy EHT transformer I use spray lacquer paint
this gets into the part that creats the noise this can be used for yokes as
well.

What is this?
Like in an aerosol can like spray paint?
Wouldn't happen to have a brand name handy there Max?
Max Harding vk3jin

I see from your address that you are in Aussi land so go down to your local
bunnings store and you will find a can of spray clear varnish on the
shelf.let it dry a day or so before you switch it on ,,,,,,,,, and yes it
works, this was told to us at school.give us a bell 0419-355-306 if you want
more.... i'm in melbourne vict.
"mo" wrote in message
om...
"Max Harding vk3jin" maxh10(NO SPAM wrote in

message . au...
when i have sets in with a noisy EHT transformer I use spray lacquer

paint
this gets into the part that creats the noise this can be used for yokes

as
well.

What is this?
Like in an aerosol can like spray paint?
Wouldn't happen to have a brand name handy there Max?

mo

"Max Harding vk3jin" maxh10(NO SPAM wrote in message . au...

I see from your address that you are in Aussi land so go down to your local
bunnings store and you will find a can of spray clear varnish on the
shelf.let it dry a day or so before you switch it on ,,,,,,,,, and yes it
works, this was told to us at school.give us a bell 0419-355-306 if you want
more.... i'm in melbourne vict.

Thanks for the advice.
One more question.
The tube is one that don't have rings and ****.And it looks as though
the factory has already at least coated the outside of the yoke with
epoxy.
I suppose I need to remove yoke to spray the inner windings.No?
mo

"Max Harding vk3jin" maxh10(NO SPAM wrote in message . au...
I see from your address that you are in Aussi land so go down to your local
bunnings store and you will find a can of spray clear varnish on the
shelf.let it dry a day or so before you switch it on ,,,,,,,,, and yes it
works, this was told to us at school.give us a bell 0419-355-306 if you want
more.... i'm in melbourne vict.

The yoke has an epoxy compound over it.
Do I need to remove the yoke first?

A thought just occurred to me.Maybe I should remove the yoke from the
neck and fire up the unit to test what difference it makes to the
buzzing.

Cheers Max.

Yoke buzz Art Electronics Repair 0 July 6th 04 11:07 AM
10 years ARM mortgage rate higher then 30 year fixed? vahania Home Ownership 1 May 8th 04 02:36 AM
Advice on adjusting yoke on TV pic tube Alan Electronics Repair 7 February 29th 04 04:47 AM
Noisy new external tap. Simon Avery UK diy 3 November 6th 03 07:55 AM
Silicone - Yoke Trimming magnet Jerry Greenberg Electronics Repair 2 August 13th 03 06:10 AM