Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 120V IEC inlet amp

Hi,

seems many folk are addicted to buying on-line these day but forget about the different power systems in the USA and Japan compared to the rest of the planet.

Twice recently, I have been given instrument amplifiers with IEC 3-pin inlets that are wired for 120VAC, 60Hz power.

One blew up soon as the owner plugged it in.

The second one, a Fender valve combo amp, has an auto-transformer step down that travels with it. Nevertheless, it is still vulnerable to the same accident as the first since anyone can plug 240V power into the back anytime.

On its second visit to me in a month, the 3A fuse in the back was splattered.

So, took the IEC to USA plug lead a cut off the IEC end.

Then I fitted a right angle IEC plug to the same lead.

The inlet on the amp had to be inverted so the plug would point the cable downwards when fitted. A bit of metal work had to be trimmed away.

Result: a neat installation that cannot be tampered with easily since the flush fitting plug is trapped by the removable back cover of the amp's cabinet.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

seems many folk are addicted to buying on-line these day but forget about the different power systems in the USA and Japan compared to the rest of the planet.

Twice recently, I have been given instrument amplifiers with IEC 3-pin inlets

you mean a C14 inlet presumably?

that are wired for 120VAC, 60Hz power.
One blew up soon as the owner plugged it in.

I'm wondering why an average USA user would even /have/ a lead kicking
around from a 240V outlet to C13 trailing plug? I mean that such a lead
is rated only for 10A, so a high power appliance (typically tumble
dryers and ovens?) would be more likely to be hard-wired, or perhaps use
a C19/C20 connector.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andy Burns wrote:

--------------------
Phil Allison wrote:

seems many folk are addicted to buying on-line these day but forget about the different power systems in the USA and Japan compared to the rest of the planet.

Twice recently, I have been given instrument amplifiers with IEC 3-pin inlets

you mean a C14 inlet presumably?

that are wired for 120VAC, 60Hz power.
One blew up soon as the owner plugged it in.

I'm wondering why an average USA user would even /have/ a lead kicking
around from a 240V outlet to C13 trailing plug? I mean that such a lead
is rated only for 10A, so a high power appliance (typically tumble
dryers and ovens?) would be more likely to be hard-wired, or perhaps use
a C19/C20 connector.

** You have misread my post.

I live in a 240V country = Australia.

The 120V gear arrives here by air or sea from dealers in the USA.

They come packed with USA 3pin to IEC 3 pin lead which cannot be used without a step-down tranny.

But that inviting IEC inlet is still a sittun thare.

Whose barking mad idea was it for the US to adopt a 240VAC Euro supply connector ???

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

Whose barking mad idea was it for the US to adopt a 240VAC Euro supply connector ???

There's nothing fundamentally "euro" about IEC connectors, most of the
planet manages to produce equipment that's 120V/240V agnostic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Electrotechnical_Commission#/media/File:IEC_membership.png
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andy Burns is an IDIOT wrote:

----------------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

Whose barking mad idea was it for the US to adopt a 240VAC Euro supply connector ???

There's nothing fundamentally "euro" about IEC connectors,

** Shame how they were designed and first standardised there for 240V power.

most of the planet manages to produce equipment that's 120V/240V agnostic.

** What planet is that exactly ??

Plant Burns where every fool believes his own bull**** ??

**** off nutcase.

...... Phil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Electrotechnical_Commission#/media/File:IEC_membership.png

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

**** off nutcase.

I suggest upping your medication ...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andy Burns TROLLING ASSHOLE wrote:

-------------------------------
:

**** off nutcase.

I suggest upping your medication ...

** I suggest you consume a whole box of rat bait.

Die a horrible death.

...... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/25/19 1:50 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
I live in a 240V country = Australia.

The 120V gear arrives here by air or sea from dealers in the USA.

They come packed with USA 3pin to IEC 3 pin lead which cannot be used without a step-down tranny.

But that inviting IEC inlet is still a sittun thare.

Whose barking mad idea was it for the US to adopt a 240VAC Euro supply connector ???

.... Phil

The whole idea of the IEC connector was global markets.
Want to sell US equipment overseas? Make it simple to switch
input line voltages, and use the correct cord without having
to change a hard wired cord.
Apparently American guitar amp sellers haven't gotten the
memo yet.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fox's Mercantile wrote:

-----------------------

** Bull****.

Want to sell US equipment overseas? Make it simple to switch
input line voltages, and use the correct cord without having
to change a hard wired cord.

** Strange how they are fitted to so much 120V ONLY gear then ?

For a great time, maybe still, it was not legal to sell domestic appliances in the USA user switchable to a higher voltage than 120V.

For very obvious safety reasons.

Way over your totally ****ed head.

YOU are one arrogant, revolting Ass.

..... Phil