Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 120V IEC inlet amp

Andy Burns wrote:

--------------------
Phil Allison wrote:

seems many folk are addicted to buying on-line these day but forget about the different power systems in the USA and Japan compared to the rest of the planet.

Twice recently, I have been given instrument amplifiers with IEC 3-pin inlets

you mean a C14 inlet presumably?

that are wired for 120VAC, 60Hz power.
One blew up soon as the owner plugged it in.

I'm wondering why an average USA user would even /have/ a lead kicking
around from a 240V outlet to C13 trailing plug? I mean that such a lead
is rated only for 10A, so a high power appliance (typically tumble
dryers and ovens?) would be more likely to be hard-wired, or perhaps use
a C19/C20 connector.

** You have misread my post.

I live in a 240V country = Australia.

The 120V gear arrives here by air or sea from dealers in the USA.

They come packed with USA 3pin to IEC 3 pin lead which cannot be used without a step-down tranny.

But that inviting IEC inlet is still a sittun thare.

Whose barking mad idea was it for the US to adopt a 240VAC Euro supply connector ???

..... Phil