Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,364
Default New Wind Farms Cheaper Than Even Existing Coal Plants

On Friday, 7 June 2019 14:32:54 UTC+1, wrote:

Once again, laboring under the burden of theory rather than practice.

Wind turbines have variable vanes. They rotate at their base from very roughly 60 degrees to the wind to 0 degrees to the wind. At 0, they do not turn, and typically this state is when the wind speeds are too high (exceedingly rare), or the unit is being serviced (and the rotor is locked when under service). At 60 degrees, and with the design minimum wind velocity, it will make the design rotational speed.

Wind turbines do not pretend to use all the energy available. They use a very small fraction of it - but it is essentially "free" energy.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA


Free energy eh. No, it's expensive energy. Wind is free, but capturing it & making electricity is not by any stretch of the imagination free. I wish it were, but it isn't.


NT
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,625
Default New Wind Farms Cheaper Than Even Existing Coal Plants

What do you do? Sit around and stew, the explode into meaningless rambles?

Cost (installed) per watt, commercial scale:

Solar: $2.30
Wind: $1.63
Natural Gas: $0.89
Nuclear: $5.00 - $8.00
Coal: $5.30 ("Clean" technology)

On reliability (Add emphasis is mine):

Reliability of wind turbines has improved with time and has achieved an availability of--- 98%,--- but wind turbines fail at least once per year, on average, with larger wind turbines failing relatively more frequently. A recent study of US wind turbines found that when all sources of downtime are accounted for, the average wind turbine actively generates power for 1.5 days between downtime events and that the average downtime is 1.6 hours.

Point being that a wind "farm" does not rely on a single turbine, but multiples, often many dozens of turbines. So, a single reactor event may take a nuclear plant down for a month, or a single turbine issue may take a coal or gas plant down for a week. But a single wind turbine event, for even two days, is hardly a blip on the radar.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,364
Default New Wind Farms Cheaper Than Even Existing Coal Plants

On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 13:32:28 UTC+1, wrote:

What do you do? Sit around and stew, the explode into meaningless rambles?

Cost (installed) per watt, commercial scale:

Solar: $2.30
Wind: $1.63
Natural Gas: $0.89
Nuclear: $5.00 - $8.00
Coal: $5.30 ("Clean" technology)

On reliability (Add emphasis is mine):

Reliability of wind turbines has improved with time and has achieved an availability of--- 98%,--- but wind turbines fail at least once per year, on average, with larger wind turbines failing relatively more frequently. A recent study of US wind turbines found that when all sources of downtime are accounted for, the average wind turbine actively generates power for 1.5 days between downtime events and that the average downtime is 1.6 hours.

Point being that a wind "farm" does not rely on a single turbine, but multiples, often many dozens of turbines. So, a single reactor event may take a nuclear plant down for a month, or a single turbine issue may take a coal or gas plant down for a week. But a single wind turbine event, for even two days, is hardly a blip on the radar.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA


Reliability of course is not the key issue in comparing intermittent with controlled gen techs. It's been explained enough times, you don't get it. End of story.


NT
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,364
Default New Wind Farms Cheaper Than Even Existing Coal Plants

On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 14:21:03 UTC+1, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 7/10/19 8:04 AM, tabbypurr wrote:


Reliability of course is not the key issue in comparing
intermittent with controlled gen techs. It's been explained

enough times, you don't get it. End of story.

NT


You remind me of my mother.
I'd ask her a question, and if she didn't know the answer,
she'd make something up. Then defend it to the death.


You're an ignorant troll. Short term plonk.


  #7   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,249
Default New Wind Farms Cheaper Than Even Existing Coal Plants

Fox's Mercantile wrote:


NT


You remind me of my mother.
I'd ask her a question, and if she didn't know the answer,
she'd make something up. Then defend it to the death.



** Same goes for a great many folk, men and women.

Their philosophy is that: "if it feels right, it is right" - a denial of the need for good evidence.

Another famous saying pointing to the same fact is: "you cannot reason a person out of a position that reason never got them into in the first place".



..... Phil





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wind not good for wind farms... Andrew Gabriel UK diy 110 December 16th 11 03:36 PM
Well thats even cheaper than.. George UK diy 12 March 23rd 08 09:47 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"