Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default It's that time again.

..PDF is named for Portable Document Format, but it needs a free reader from www.adobe.com.

Think of it as a non-editable (not necessarily true) file containing text & graphics that is readable on almost any device.

It may contain an index and it may be searchable. It can also be password protected. It can contain forms where you can fill in information. It can also act on those fields like add them and create an answer.

PDF's are inherently safer to open.

I routinely print to PDF format and rarely print a hardcopy. e.g. An Invoice for an online order. e.g. Print this page for your records.

==

I bought laces from the auction site. Just bought boot laces. They like to become untied. Good ends and strength. Can be purchased by the inch.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 04 Apr 2019 14:10:41 -0700, Ron D. wrote:

.PDF is named for Portable Document Format, but it needs a free reader
from www.adobe.com.

Or you can try XPDF, free from https://www.xpdfreader.com/

I use the 64 bit Linux version, but it has versions for 32 bit and 64 bit
Windows. Its a free open source program.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 01:08:48 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Apr 2019 14:10:41 -0700, Ron D. wrote:

.PDF is named for Portable Document Format, but it needs a free reader
from www.adobe.com.

Or you can try XPDF, free from https://www.xpdfreader.com/

I use the 64 bit Linux version, but it has versions for 32 bit and 64 bit
Windows. Its a free open source program.

Many years ago, I got tired of dealing with Adobe Acrobat bugs, hangs
and crashes. So, I switched to PDF-Xchange (free version):
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
which works nicely and does most of what I need. One very useful
feature is the built in OCR reader, which will convert a
non-searchable PDF into one that can be searched.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" It can also be password protected. "

Printing can also be disabled. If so you have to do screen captures if you got a program that respects nothing.

There was a high end auto service manual that you could download and view but not print. May have been a Rolls, Mazerati, I do not remember.

And sometimes that "password" may be embedded in the registry. (in windows, I have no idea about other OSes)