Old February 20th 19, 02:06 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Scratchy volume control.

I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

Old February 20th 19, 02:41 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019/02/19 5:06 p.m., Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Old February 20th 19, 02:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson insane WD-40 HATER wrote:

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

** Same composition as WD-40 at *many times* the price.

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

** Wot a bloody lunatic.

..... Phil

Old February 20th 19, 05:31 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:41:12 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

On 2019/02/19 5:06 p.m., Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

Thanks, I'll check out the local radio shop.
Old February 20th 19, 05:46 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/19/19 10:31 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:41:12 -0800, John Robertson
I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results.

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaning-products-for-electronics/cleaners/specialty-cleaners/nu-trol-control-cleaner-401b

Thanks, I'll check out the local radio shop.

I use Faderlube by Caig.
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.350/KB.218/.f

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Old February 20th 19, 09:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 01:06:16 UTC, Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

Sometimes all one need to is twiddle the control back & forth a dozen or 2 times. Sometimes it also needs some cleaner sprayed into the pot. Sometimes that doesn't fix it & it needs its terminals resoldering.

NT
Old February 20th 19, 09:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 08:33:18 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 01:06:16 UTC, Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

Sometimes all one need to is twiddle the control back & forth a dozen or 2 times. Sometimes it also needs some cleaner sprayed into the pot. Sometimes that doesn't fix it & it needs its terminals resoldering.

NT

and rarely the track is worn out.
Old February 20th 19, 10:55 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Generallly, it comes from a bas contact between the cursor aand the
resistive track (dust or oxyde).
It can also come from a miscontact between this track and the connecting
pad or a "dry solder".
First step : re-solder everything.
Second step : use some KF or equivalent in large quantity inside
(through the opening of the leads).

Old February 20th 19, 06:51 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Peter Jason wrote:

I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

Peter-

You have a number of good suggestions above.

While you in the radio, check to see if there is a capacitor coupling to
the volume control. It is possible that a leaky coupling capacitor is
causing a DC current to flow in the volume control. Such a current can
cause any "scratchiness" to be made worse.

Fred
Old February 21st 19, 12:03 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , Phil
Allison writes
John Robertson insane WD-40 HATER wrote:

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

** Same composition as WD-40 at *many times* the price.

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

** Wot a bloody lunatic.

.... Phil

I feel that the horrors of WD40 are greatly exaggerated. Since I lost my
tube of 'the real thing' (about 40 years ago) I've occasionally used
WD40 as a switch and volume control cleaner - and I've never had a
problem with it.
--
Ian