DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Scratchy volume control. (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/631362-scratchy-volume-control.html)

Peter Jason February 20th 19 02:06 AM

Scratchy volume control.

I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

John Robertson February 20th 19 02:41 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On 2019/02/19 5:06 p.m., Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Phil Allison[_3_] February 20th 19 02:52 AM

Scratchy volume control.

John Robertson insane WD-40 HATER wrote:

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

** Same composition as WD-40 at *many times* the price.

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

** Wot a bloody lunatic.

..... Phil

Peter Jason February 20th 19 05:31 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:41:12 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

On 2019/02/19 5:06 p.m., Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

Thanks, I'll check out the local radio shop.

Fox's Mercantile February 20th 19 05:46 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On 2/19/19 10:31 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:41:12 -0800, John Robertson
I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results.

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaning-products-for-electronics/cleaners/specialty-cleaners/nu-trol-control-cleaner-401b

Thanks, I'll check out the local radio shop.

I use Faderlube by Caig.
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.350/KB.218/.f

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

[email protected] February 20th 19 09:33 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 01:06:16 UTC, Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

Sometimes all one need to is twiddle the control back & forth a dozen or 2 times. Sometimes it also needs some cleaner sprayed into the pot. Sometimes that doesn't fix it & it needs its terminals resoldering.

NT

[email protected] February 20th 19 09:33 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 08:33:18 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 01:06:16 UTC, Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

Sometimes all one need to is twiddle the control back & forth a dozen or 2 times. Sometimes it also needs some cleaner sprayed into the pot. Sometimes that doesn't fix it & it needs its terminals resoldering.

NT

and rarely the track is worn out.

Look165 February 20th 19 10:55 AM

Scratchy volume control.

Generallly, it comes from a bas contact between the cursor aand the
resistive track (dust or oxyde).
It can also come from a miscontact between this track and the connecting
pad or a "dry solder".
First step : re-solder everything.
Second step : use some KF or equivalent in large quantity inside
(through the opening of the leads).

Fred McKenzie February 20th 19 06:51 PM

Scratchy volume control.

In article ,
Peter Jason wrote:

I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

Peter-

You have a number of good suggestions above.

While you in the radio, check to see if there is a capacitor coupling to
the volume control. It is possible that a leaky coupling capacitor is
causing a DC current to flow in the volume control. Such a current can
cause any "scratchiness" to be made worse.

Fred

Ian Jackson[_9_] February 21st 19 12:03 AM

Scratchy volume control.

In message , Phil
Allison writes
John Robertson insane WD-40 HATER wrote:

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

** Same composition as WD-40 at *many times* the price.

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

** Wot a bloody lunatic.

.... Phil

I feel that the horrors of WD40 are greatly exaggerated. Since I lost my
tube of 'the real thing' (about 40 years ago) I've occasionally used
WD40 as a switch and volume control cleaner - and I've never had a
problem with it.
--
Ian

Phil Allison[_3_] February 21st 19 12:39 AM

Scratchy volume control.

Ian Jackson wrote
:
Phil Allison
John Robertson insane WD-40 HATER wrote:

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

** Same composition as WD-40 at *many times* the price.

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

** Wot a bloody lunatic.

.... Phil

I feel that the horrors of WD40 are greatly exaggerated.

** The name is WD40 - not WMD40.

Since I lost my
tube of 'the real thing' (about 40 years ago) I've occasionally used
WD40 as a switch and volume control cleaner - and I've never had a
problem with it.
--

** Nor has anyone else.

.... Phil

[email protected] February 21st 19 01:51 PM

Scratchy volume control.

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 8:52:40 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:

** Same composition as WD-40 at *many times* the price.

Twit:

Please note on the description: "Moderate Evaporation", and then try to learn something not covered by your closely held beliefs. Or are you one of those who wishes to have it both ways?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Phil Allison[_3_] February 21st 19 08:58 PM

Scratchy volume control.

Some utter ****WIT & moron called wrote:

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 8:52:40 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:

** Same composition as WD-40 at *many times* the price.

Twit:

** Vile troll.

Please note on the description: "Moderate Evaporation",

** Please do the planet a favour - go top yourself.

Autistic nut cases like are no use to anyone.

..... Phil

Peter Jason February 21st 19 09:44 PM

Scratchy volume control.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 11:58:18 -0800 (PST), Phil
Allison wrote:

Some utter ****WIT & moron called wrote:

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 8:52:40 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:

** Same composition as WD-40 at *many times* the price.

Twit:

** Vile troll.

Please note on the description: "Moderate Evaporation",

** Please do the planet a favour - go top yourself.

Autistic nut cases like are no use to anyone.

.... Phil

Are you in the correct NG? Are you lost?

Peter Jason February 21st 19 09:46 PM

Scratchy volume control.

wrote:

On 2019/02/19 5:06 p.m., Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

Would finely-powdered graphite work in this case.
Like the type used for door locks?

Phil Allison[_3_] February 21st 19 09:51 PM

Scratchy volume control.

Peter Jason wrote:

Are you in the correct NG? Are you lost?

** You are obviously lost AND on the wrong NG.

Smart arsed ****s like you are a dime a dozen you know.

..... Phil

Phil Allison[_3_] February 21st 19 09:54 PM

Scratchy volume control.

Some retard called Peter Jason wrote:

Would finely-powdered graphite work in this case.
Like the type used for door locks?

** Yeah - go ahead use plenty of it.

It can only be good for electronics.

...... Phil

[email protected] February 21st 19 09:54 PM

Scratchy volume control.

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 3:46:30 PM UTC-5, Peter Jason wrote:

Would finely-powdered graphite work in this case.
Like the type used for door locks?

Graphite is a rather good conductor. Not an ideal material for the purpose.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

[email protected] February 22nd 19 09:41 AM

Scratchy volume control.

wrote:
[...]

No.
1. It does not remove the gunk causing bad contact
2. It tends to short the resistance in use
3. It tends to create a short from track to case, which sometimes would be a problem.

It was sometimes used in the 1940s on pot tracks that had worn away, but that is not likely to be the problem, and certainly was not used by pouring powder in, and was at best a temporary bodge.

NT

[email protected] February 22nd 19 07:15 PM

Scratchy volume control.

Imagine if our Tourette's Twit from Australia were to engage in its little fits face-to-face with its neighbors, acquaintances and customers?

Dubious that it would still be alive, much less at liberty.

I have often thought about asking a friend of mine who travels throughout the Down Under on a regular basis to see if he can get a picture of Mr. Allison - just for giggles. He is an ordained minister, so no threat.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Phil Allison[_3_] February 22nd 19 09:20 PM

Scratchy volume control.

wrote:

** Grandiose, autistic ****heads need to be got rid of.

People like Peter Wieck are a pox on the face of the earth.

In ordinary life one simply avoids complete pricks like them - but on usenet the cretins are in your face and will not go away no matter how many times you direct them.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

This old fool is a demented troll who thinks he OWNS the NG.

He ****ing well does not.

...... Phil

[email protected] February 22nd 19 09:25 PM

Scratchy volume control.

Yo, twit:

Watch for that stranger with a phone pointed in your direction. Could happen at any time, anywhere that you crawl out from under your rock, or out of your cellar. Really.

Pete Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Tom Del Rosso[_6_] February 23rd 19 07:53 PM

Scratchy volume control.

Phil Allison wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote

I feel that the horrors of WD40 are greatly exaggerated.

** The name is WD40 - not WMD40.

But it makes a great flame thrower. I think the propellant has
something to do with that.

Phil Allison[_3_] February 23rd 19 09:18 PM

Scratchy volume control.

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

I feel that the horrors of WD40 are greatly exaggerated.

** The name is WD40 - not WMD40.

But it makes a great flame thrower. I think the propellant has
something to do with that.

** The propellant is CO2

.... Phil

[email protected] February 24th 19 12:53 AM

Scratchy volume control.

WD-40 is a CLEANER - for mechanical
movements only, not electronics. As such,
it should be followed up with a proper lubricant
in door hinges, latches, or anything else it
has been used to free up around the home
or business.

For electronics, use electronics cleaner. That's
why it's called 'electronics cleaner/spray'.

Phil Allison[_3_] February 24th 19 03:59 AM

Scratchy volume control.

wrote:

WD-40 is a CLEANER

** It's a lubricant too - says so right on the can, ****head.

- for mechanical
movements only, not electronics.

** Correct it is no use on capacitors, transistors or ICs.

Wot a moron !!!!!

Redundant bull**** sniped.

..... Phil

Ian Jackson[_9_] February 24th 19 09:23 AM

Scratchy volume control.

In message ,
writes
WD-40 is a CLEANER - for mechanical
movements only, not electronics. As such,
it should be followed up with a proper lubricant
in door hinges, latches, or anything else it
has been used to free up around the home
or business.

Have you ever read the specs for WD40?

For electronics, use electronics cleaner. That's
why it's called 'electronics cleaner/spray'.

Most cleaners clean things that are 'not on the tin'.
--
Ian

gregz February 24th 19 09:37 AM

Scratchy volume control.

Phil Allison wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

I feel that the horrors of WD40 are greatly exaggerated.

** The name is WD40 - not WMD40.

But it makes a great flame thrower. I think the propellant has
something to do with that.

** The propellant is CO2

.... Phil

Used to have propane. I used it on tent worms. Now very hard to ignite.

Greg

Phil Allison[_3_] February 24th 19 10:07 AM

Scratchy volume control.

GS wrote:

But it makes a great flame thrower. I think the propellant has
something to do with that.

** The propellant is CO2

.... Phil

Used to have propane.

** The propellant was changed to CO2 about 20 year ago.

I used it on tent worms. Now very hard to ignite.

** The liquid is still highly lethal to cockroaches.

..... Phil

micky February 26th 19 02:51 AM

Scratchy volume control.

In sci.electronics.repair, on Wed, 20 Feb 2019 00:33:16 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 01:06:16 UTC, Peter Jason wrote:
I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

Sometimes all one need to is twiddle the control back & forth a dozen or 2 times.

Definitely t hat's the easiest and likely to make it work for a while.
I just left on a trip and the radio that was supposed to play to make
it sound like I was home had t he no-play problem, but twiddling the
volume a bit made it good enough to last until I get home, probably,
since no one will be moving it.

Peter Jason February 28th 19 01:36 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:06:09 +1100, Peter Jason
wrote:

I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume
wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly
harder to turn though this might improve as
remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

Fox's Mercantile February 28th 19 01:41 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On 2/27/19 6:36 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume
wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly
harder to turn though this might improve as
remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

It won't. You've flushed all the lubrication out of
it.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Phil Allison[_3_] February 28th 19 02:00 AM

Scratchy volume control.

Peter Jerkoff Jason wrote:

I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume
wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly
harder to turn though this might improve as
remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

** Nobody here suggested you do that.

What a ****ing idiot you are.

.... Phil

Peter Jason February 28th 19 02:09 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:41:53 -0600, Fox's
Mercantile wrote:

On 2/27/19 6:36 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume
wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly
harder to turn though this might improve as
remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

It won't. You've flushed all the lubrication out of
it.

.....er, what can I use as a replacement lubricant?

Peter Jason February 28th 19 02:10 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 17:00:11 -0800 (PST), Phil
Allison wrote:

Peter Jerkoff Jason wrote:

I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume
wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly
harder to turn though this might improve as
remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

** Nobody here suggested you do that.

What a ****ing idiot you are.

.... Phil

How rude! Your endless brawling with other posters
has got me flummoxed and confused.

Fox's Mercantile February 28th 19 02:13 AM

Scratchy volume control.

Mercantile wrote:

On 2/27/19 6:36 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume
wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly
harder to turn though this might improve as
remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

It won't. You've flushed all the lubrication out of
it.

....er, what can I use as a replacement lubricant?

What we told you to use to begin with.
https://caig.com/fader-f-series/

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Fox's Mercantile February 28th 19 02:15 AM

Scratchy volume control.

On 2/27/19 7:10 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
How rude! Your endless brawling with other posters
has got me flummoxed and confused.

You have two choices with Phil, agree with him, or
ignore him.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Peter Jason February 28th 19 03:06 AM

Scratchy volume control.

Mercantile wrote:

On 2/27/19 6:36 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume
wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly
harder to turn though this might improve as
remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

It won't. You've flushed all the lubrication out of
it.

....er, what can I use as a replacement lubricant?

What we told you to use to begin with.
https://caig.com/fader-f-series/

Thanks, I'll find some & report back.

[email protected] February 28th 19 09:21 AM

Scratchy volume control.

Mercantile wrote:
On 2/27/19 6:36 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume
wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly
harder to turn though this might improve as
remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

It won't. You've flushed all the lubrication out of
it.

....er, what can I use as a replacement lubricant?

What we told you to use to begin with.
https://caig.com/fader-f-series/

Thanks, I'll find some & report back.

Petroleum jelly is usable as a lube for electrical things.

Ignore Phil, he's strange.

NT