Old February 11th 19, 06:32 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Who makes RELIABLE modern electrolytic caps?

Changing the electrolytic capacitors in vintage tube gear is a must
these days, but no one makes the old style (large size) caps anymore.
I personally do not trust these small modern caps to last very long.
Many computer motherboards have proven how short the life span is on
modern caps, and most of them are low voltage types.

Those old caps have lasted 40, 50 sometimes 60 years. I doubt any modern
caps will last even 10 years. I tend to wonder if that is because of
their small size. Or is it just the construction or materials used?
There are some NOS (new old stock) caps available, but they fail
regardless if they were used or not, since the electrolyte drys out and
moisture may enter them as well.

I dont mind changing caps on vintage gear once, but if I have to change
them every 5 or 10 years, I will not be happy.

But since new caps are no longer made, which are made the same as the
old ones they are replacing, I have little choice but to use these small
modern ones.

That leads to finding brands which are reliable. And I assume price
tells all. Cheap imports are likely the worst, while high priced US made
ones will last longer.

I doubt any modern caps will last even close to the life span of the old
ones, but which brands are the best? (Particularly the ones used for
high voltages in tube gear).

Old February 11th 19, 07:21 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 11 February 2019 06:32:57 UTC, wrote:

[...]

The main cause of failure for modern caps is that they're run at high ripple current, something that does not happen in valve equipment.

If you want best reliability, get 120C rated caps rather than 85 and look at their mfr rated lifetime expectancy.

If you plan to send it to the moon, for extreme reliability for small values on HT, put plastic film caps inside the old cases, choosing higher v ratings & putting 2 in series. Then vacuum pot them. This is of course not necessary

NT
Old February 11th 19, 07:48 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 5:32:57 PM UTC+11, wrote:
[...]

** You are so full of ****.

Any of these "snap-in" types will replace the high voltage electros in tube amps with advantage. If more then 450V is needed, connect two in series.

https://www.google.com.au/search?ei=...450v+snap+ in

Out last you for bloody sure.

..... Phil

Old February 11th 19, 09:45 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In fact, they are reliable, but due to cost reduction, some plants use
processses which do not respect the dedicated soldering process and
either the component breaks or it's value changes.
Specially decoupling caps. generally the problem is located at the
terminations.

a √©crit le 11/02/2019 √* 07:32¬*:

Old February 11th 19, 12:24 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 1:32:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Mouser.com
DigiKey.com

And any of a dozen other suppliers will be glad to take your money and send you pretty much _exactly_ what you need.

Need multi-section caps? There is AES, Parts Express and half-a-dozen others. There is a company in Germany making Cornell-type cans on OEM equipment, but using modern materials.

And CE Does it right here in the US: https://www.cedist.com/products/capa...0Manufacturing

Remember, it is ONLY money.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 11th 19, 03:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/11/19 9:43 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Remember the computer boards that had capacitors
on them that only lasted about a year ? A friend and I had to send back
several boards to one of the big computer board and part suppliers , but
that was about 20 yars ago.

That wasn't because of modern capacitors.
That was because the bean counters at Dell went with
cheap counterfeit caps that were ****.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Old February 11th 19, 05:04 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 00:32:54 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Panasonic and Nichicon.
Old February 11th 19, 06:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Yeah, I totally agree with you. The new smaller modern caps just can't
last. A perfect example. My Pioneer SX-434 is only 46 years old and
the ****ty small caps in it must be getting ready to fail. Even though
I listen to it every day and though there is no degradation in the
tuning or the sound I just know the caps must be getting ready to
fail. They are just so small.
Eric