Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ME/MA UK 1970's transistors?

Hi all,
I'm restoring a couple of 1970's wooden case acoustic coupler, both made in
the UK.
I haven't find the slightest bit of information about both of them, just
some pictures on the net.
One of them is the DCD model AC.350.OM (where probably OM stands for
Originate, as it doesn't have any Orig/Answ switch).
Now, I'm checking most parts (it's made on 6 PCBs, plus some chassis-mounted
components) for obvious problem, like diode/BJT junctions, carbon composition
resistors values, electrolytic ESR/shorts etc.
All transistor have MAxxxx or MExxxx codes, they really look like BCxxx
transistors from the early 1970's, one of the most common ones is ME4101.
By the way, the ICs have 1972-1974 date codes, so this unit was probably
manufactured in 1974.
My first question is: does anyone have a cross reference for these MA/ME
transistors? Are those a kind of military markings?
Second question: almost all ME4101 have a junction voltage drop around 0.8V
but one of them shows a bit more than 1V drop on both BE and BC junctions
(it's NPN). Can I assume this one must be bad?
Any other hint and information is welcome.
Thanks
Frank IZ8DWF
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 17 November 2018 20:44:14 UTC, wrote:

[...]

0.8v V_be is odd. Something isn't right there.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...CS/ME4101.html

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

** ME4101 etc devices were made by " Micro Electronics" of the USA - Silicon Valley address.

http://www.microelect.com/

Made a lot of types in TO106 package - shiny, glob tops and gold plated leads.

Very neat looking.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 5:14:51 AM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

[...]

You got me curious. Here's a link to a picture. I remember seeing similar transistors years ago in Zenith TVs.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/t...n/me4101_1.jpg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Got a bunch in my vintage (70s) AR tuner, receiver & integrated amp (Made by Fairchild per the service manual). I have had to do some pretty substantial rebuilding over the years, but never to those transistors.

Also a few of this type: http://www.gpecsrl.net/img_componenti19/19727.jpg made by Motorola.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Look165 wrote:
With such aVBE, they surely are Ge transistors, not Si.

They are all Si transistors. Ge have Vbe around 0.3 to 0.4V, I have quite
a few devices with Ge transistors.

Frank
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 23 November 2018 08:28:18 UTC, wrote:
Look165 wrote:

With such aVBE, they surely are Ge transistors, not Si.

They are all Si transistors. Ge have Vbe around 0.3 to 0.4V, I have quite
a few devices with Ge transistors.

Frank

I can't imagine what Si tr would have 0.8v V_be or why. Do you know?

Geraniums start much lower of course, but also rise higher quickly as current increases. 0.8v on a Ge junction is no cause for surprise.

The ME tr you mentioned is a Si device, so I'm puzzled by its V_be.

NT

1970 vintage Allied Tandy audiophile grade floor/shelf speakers-adj. crossovers-NICE-$50 jailhouserock Electronics Repair 1 September 20th 06 06:44 PM
Any sources for 1970 vintage cast iron hydronic baseboard radiators? Karen Taylor Home Repair 7 August 14th 06 12:12 AM
usenet abuser 1968.9.44.84 and sometimes 1970.9.44.84 Knotbob Woodworking 1 January 19th 06 02:41 AM
1970.9.44.84 Knotbob Woodworking 7 January 14th 06 05:29 PM
1970's Build U Values TheScullster UK diy 2 October 28th 04 10:42 AM