Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SLV-N750 Sony VCR Part Loose

I was playing a tape and it got jammed. When I pulled it out, a part came loose and now I can't find where it goes. Can anyone help with this part location ? It's in tact, not broken.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 1:22:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was playing a tape and it got jammed. When I pulled it out, a part came loose and now I can't find where it goes. Can anyone help with this part location ? It's in tact, not broken.

Part says TE4-2 POM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 1:26:52 PM UTC-4, a C K O Tele-Radio Channel wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 1:22:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was playing a tape and it got jammed. When I pulled it out, a part came loose and now I can't find where it goes. Can anyone help with this part location ? It's in tact, not broken.

Part says TE4-2 POM

Any chance you can post a picture of the part? That would help a bit.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 3:54:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 1:26:52 PM UTC-4, a C K O Tele-Radio Channel wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 1:22:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was playing a tape and it got jammed. When I pulled it out, a part came loose and now I can't find where it goes. Can anyone help with this part location ? It's in tact, not broken.

Part says TE4-2 POM

Any chance you can post a picture of the part? That would help a bit.

Dan

Dan, I don't see any place to post pictures. I do have 3 I can but don't know where to upload them ? I just posted a video on my YouTube channel that shows what the VCR is doing and where the part that came out is. I put it back as best as I could identify its location near the head. Here's the link for my video if you might could help me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WB1aGLKXo8
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 2:00:43 PM UTC-4, a C K O Tele-Radio Channel wrote:
[...]

If it was near the head it just might be the head cleaner arm - it might have snagged when you extracted your jammed tape. Not needed if that's what it is.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 2:37:11 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
[...]

Just saw your youtube.. Yep, it's the head cleaner arm. Not needed to run.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't normally do this but - that VCR is not a Sony and it is a piece of ****. I think the really last good Sony VCRs were like the SLV920HF, and I have one, and the SLV100HF. they do things right, they don't put the rubber pinch roller on the oxide side of the tape, which was known to be a nono since the sales of wire recorders dropped...

It is better to take those head cleaners out, they get dirty and unclean the heads. Use a coffee filter, place it on the drum and keep it stationary and rotate the upper drum. On the one you'll probably have to remove the drum motor from the top to do it. Use 91 or 99% isopropyl alcohol. Don't forget to clean the lower drum as well.

It looked like the head stalled, if so it is an extremely dirty head drum or tape. That could cause shutdown as well if it is trying to move the tape and doesn't get reel sensor pulses because it is stuck.

The next generation of Sony VHS was like the SLV780HF. Not bad for tape handling but can be a bitch to work on, in fact I got two of them I suspect the uProcessors in, but it is too hard to confirm, and I am not changing them anyway. I mean I am NOT changing them, one belongs to my Mother and I am not changing them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 6:32:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

If you watch the whole video (it's long), you will see the head spin up normally later on. It sure looks like the head was still damp from cleaning when she attempted to load the tape, sticking the tape to the upper head cylinder.

Yep, it looks like an Orion transport, but it's been many years since I really played with a VCR. Definitely not a Sony built transport.

I think she broke the heads cleaning them. Once the upper cylinder dried off and the tape started to move, she had no signal on her monitor. It's possible that the wet upper cylinder may have transferred tape particles to the head chips and it needs to be cleaned again, but I think she smote them. People who have never cleaned a helical scanned head aren't aware that you can break them without even feeling them go.

I left some comments on her youtube video but she probably tossed the machine. At the end of her video, she goes into a rant about Sony not supporting an old VHS anymore.