Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SLV-N750 Sony VCR Part Loose

I don't normally do this but - that VCR is not a Sony and it is a piece of ****. I think the really last good Sony VCRs were like the SLV920HF, and I have one, and the SLV100HF. they do things right, they don't put the rubber pinch roller on the oxide side of the tape, which was known to be a nono since the sales of wire recorders dropped...

It is better to take those head cleaners out, they get dirty and unclean the heads. Use a coffee filter, place it on the drum and keep it stationary and rotate the upper drum. On the one you'll probably have to remove the drum motor from the top to do it. Use 91 or 99% isopropyl alcohol. Don't forget to clean the lower drum as well.

It looked like the head stalled, if so it is an extremely dirty head drum or tape. That could cause shutdown as well if it is trying to move the tape and doesn't get reel sensor pulses because it is stuck.

The next generation of Sony VHS was like the SLV780HF. Not bad for tape handling but can be a bitch to work on, in fact I got two of them I suspect the uProcessors in, but it is too hard to confirm, and I am not changing them anyway. I mean I am NOT changing them, one belongs to my Mother and I am not changing them.