Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default yellow 5th band R

Hi all,
sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not finding any good info on the net
it seems. I often see in old (CRT) TV chassis some resistors with
a standard 4 bands code (the 4th is Gold) plus a 5th
band always yellow, for example Brown Black Black Gold Yellow (measures 10
ohms as expected).
What's the meaning of the additional yellow band?
Thanks in advance
Frank
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/23/2017 5:16 PM, frank wrote:
Hi all,
sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not finding any good info on the net
it seems. I often see in old (CRT) TV chassis some resistors with
a standard 4 bands code (the 4th is Gold) plus a 5th
band always yellow, for example Brown Black Black Gold Yellow (measures 10
ohms as expected).
What's the meaning of the additional yellow band?
Thanks in advance
Frank

I don't think yellow was an option on 5 band resistors, it was on 6 band
where it was the temperature coefficient.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 23 December 2017 22:16:37 UTC, frank wrote:
Hi all,
sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not finding any good info on the net
it seems. I often see in old (CRT) TV chassis some resistors with
a standard 4 bands code (the 4th is Gold) plus a 5th
band always yellow, for example Brown Black Black Gold Yellow (measures 10
ohms as expected).
What's the meaning of the additional yellow band?
Thanks in advance
Frank

yellow is used in lieu of gold for tolerance - it's non-metallic.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mike Coon wrote:

-----------------

On Saturday, 23 December 2017 22:16:37 UTC, frank wrote:
Hi all,
sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not finding any good info on the net
it seems. I often see in old (CRT) TV chassis some resistors with
a standard 4 bands code (the 4th is Gold) plus a 5th
band always yellow, for example Brown Black Black Gold Yellow (measures 10
ohms as expected).
What's the meaning of the additional yellow band?
Thanks in advance
Frank

yellow is used in lieu of gold for tolerance - it's non-metallic.

In which case why on earth would you have both? ("Lieu" implies
substitution!)

** I have two 1W, MF resistors here,

R1 = brown, black, gold, gold.

R2 = brown, black, back, silver, brown.

Can you say what their values and tolerances are ?

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 24 December 2017 09:19:48 UTC, Mike Coon wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr says...
On Saturday, 23 December 2017 22:16:37 UTC, frank wrote:

Hi all,
sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not finding any good info on the net
it seems. I often see in old (CRT) TV chassis some resistors with
a standard 4 bands code (the 4th is Gold) plus a 5th
band always yellow, for example Brown Black Black Gold Yellow (measures 10
ohms as expected).
What's the meaning of the additional yellow band?
Thanks in advance
Frank

yellow is used in lieu of gold for tolerance - it's non-metallic.

NT

In which case why on earth would you have both? ("Lieu" implies
substitution!)

Mike.

Yes, obviously the presence of gold means it's not substituting for gold. This explains:
http://www.resistorguide.com/picture...odes_chart.png

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The 3 first are the value (the last one is the multiplier).

Then, there is the tolerance.

And finally it can exist a 5th one, the thermal drift.