Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Default Ubiquity wifi access point

Rod Speed actually wrote:

I've lost track of what name the person who was continually
comparing iOS and android systems who changes names
every month or so or even if he is still posting here.

I want to get a simple Ubiquity 2.4GHz access point to allow convenient
sharing of my wifi with my back neighbour but am rather dazzled by the
range of choices available. I just want something simple and cheap that
will do a good job over about 150' and is easy enough to attach to the
back of my house, either on the block wall where it can be a bit sheltered
or on the wooden barge board for the flat roof out in the weather.

Preferably with POE to minimise the mechanical farting around.

To Rod Speed and anyone who wants to set up a ubiquiti radio as a receiver
far from the house.

We had a half dozen spare Ubiquiti Rocket M2 radios on hand, because we
swapped them all out for Rocket M5 radios instead (for the lower noise).
https://s26.postimg.org/86f1es2yh/radio.jpg

So a bunch of us grabbed a few and set them up outside, a few hundred feet
from the house, pointing over the air back at the normal home SOHO routers.

At about 200 feet line of sight from the barn to the house, we got signal
strength of over minus 65 decibels, which is pretty good, and when we
tested speeds, they were asymmetric (even though all our feeds are
symmetric) at 43 Mbps down and 17 Mbps up, which is fine for what we're
doing (since we get our Internet over the air via WISP).

The key to set up the Ubiquiti radio as a receiver is "station" and
"bridge" for the two tabs, "wireless" and "network".

The configuration file has the radio set up with the following cfg file
which can be loaded into any Ubiquiti Rocket M2 (and probably other
Ubiquiti AirOS radios).

------------ cut here --------------
bridge.status=enabled
tshaper.status=disabled