Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default (OT) Would you pay $99.99 for a USED 1gb Flash Drive

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 13:00:39 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Trevor Wilson wrote:

On 7/06/2017 5:58 PM, wrote:
Am I missing something, (like gold plating)

Or do they really think someone is stupid enough to pay $100 for a USED
1gb flash drive?

**I don't know anyone dumb enough to pay $100.00 for ANY kind of 1GB flash
drive. I would bend down to pick one up. They're now freebie items. OTOH, a
1TB flash drive is a different thing. Easy worth $100.00. Maybe a couple of
hundred. 1GB is worth, maybe, $1.00. Tops.

I was wondering if the seller messed up, confusing terms so it's actually
a larger capacity drive.

Actually, NO. I have some identical drives and they are 1gb.
The reason I was looking at them, is because I want to buy some of them
1gb drives, if they are about $1 or $2 each. The reason is because I
made some linux bootable flash drives. I just plug them into the USB and
can boot to Linux instead of Windows. I dont generally use Linux, but if
Windows wont boot, they are a handy way to retrieve data, and sometimes
even fix Windows.

For some reason, I can NOT make these bootable drives on any flash
drives larger than 2gb. They just dont work....

I paid ten for my first couple of 1gig flash drives, I forget when, a
decade or so ago I'd say. And they had dropped in price by then. Now
one can get much greater capacity for the same or less price.

I paid $150 for a USED 10 mb hard drive in 1990. Thats MEGAbyte, not
GIGAbyte.

I suppose a seller might think in terms of "rarity". I think 1gig drives
have disappeared, at least from regular outlets. It seems a waste to use
a larger size one for when you only need low capacity, but it's sure not
worth paying $100 for it. Maybe the seller thinks there are instances
where the larger drive was too large, but while that did happen in the
days of hardware hard drives, and I have digital cameras that won't
makeuse of larger capacity memory cards, I don't think computers have
problems with "too large" flash drives.

Michael

Yep, some older digital cameras wont take cards larger than a specific
size. I have an older Canon, and I cant use cards larger than 16gb. Then
again, I see no reason to use a larger card. I can get many thousands of
photos on a 16gb card. I doubt I take over 1000 photos in a full year,
and I dump photos to my computer at least once every 3 months.

Anyhow, in the case of *bootable* flash drives, it appears that
computers DO have problems with "too large" flash drives.

BTW, I dont believe they make a 1tb (TERAbyte) flash drive. The largest
I have ever seen in the stores and on ebay is 128gb. I do recall hearing
they make or are working on a 256gb flash drive. If you want to talk
about portable USB hard drives, yea, they go as high as 2tb, maybe
higher, but not flash drives.

But if someone knows of a 1tb flash drive, post the URL.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

I paid about $ 600 for 2 of the 5 1/4 inch floppy drives and electronics
to go in a TRS-80 computer. As long ago as that was, it was probably
well over $ 1000 in todays money.

Some computers and othe devices that take storage devices do have
probles with large 'cards'.

Same with devices where I worked had problems with newer computers. We
programed many devices with a laptop. As the computers got faster, the
old devices would not program. The timming loop timmed out before the
old device could send or receive the data.

I keep a couple of old laptops around the house to program some of my
things that the software is only in dos or I need some of the MCICA or
whatever memory card slots.