Phil

Default Sony TV Power Supply

Hello
Wanted to thank David and Mr. Wizard for the prompt answer to my question
on my Sony 27 in. Power supply problem , wonder if the PS supply weakness is
still there, am thinking about replacing the TV that I had the PS trouble,
really do like the Sony picture and have had good luck with most Sony
products, this is the first failure I have had.
Thanks Again
Phil L.

David

Is it really a weakness in the tv? How long did it last before it failed
the first time?
It is a critical design and great care must be taken when repairing it in
order to have a good solid fix.
It does work very well to give a solid picture, little picture size changing
as brightness changes.

It is not that is is a bad design, but when it goes, it generally takes out
several parts, and all need replaced or it will blow again. Not fun from a
repair standpoint, but with the proper training and equipment, a solid
repair is possible with no problems.

If it were my own tv set and the picture still looked good before it failed,
I would have no problem putting up to $100 into the tv for repair. Any
decent quality tv today of the same size will run $280 or more depending on
features. If you are concerned about being without a tv set at all while it
gets repaired, pick up a second hand tv set for use, decent 20" tv sets can
be had used for $50 or less.

Call and find some Sony trained and authorized shops in your area, see what
they charge for an estimate when you take it in, should be around $30 for a
detailed estimate with total repairs around $90-100 or so for that failure.
Any good tech that has repaired several of these should have the equipment
and knowledge on the specific things that must be done for a good repair.

David